Everything's Bigger Than Me

HaleyHolland99: after three long days in a uhaul driving coast to coast, we finally made it to our new home

HaleyHolland99: after three long days in a uhaul driving coast to coast, we finally made it to our new home. Cash is excited 💛

2.3k likes

"Wait, that's one of my boxes, it goes in the smaller truck." I said, stopping Lacey from taking one of my boxes of clothes into the house.

"Dang. I thought I was going to be able to sneak that one past you." She said, taking the box over to the uhaul van.

"Now I'm going to have to check your room before I leave."

"Are you and Ethan driving to Los Angeles tonight?" My mom asked, coming out of the uhaul, confused.

"Probably." I said, walking towards the house with the box that I had.

"It's already getting late and we haven't finished sorting out the boxes yet. You probably won't get there before midnight or one am. Why don't you just leave out early in the morning?"

"Grayson's plane is getting in in the morning and we have to go pick him up." I said, not totally the whole truth, but not really a lie. His plane is coming tomorrow, just later in the day.

"You're lying. You're a terrible liar." She said, sitting the box she had on the island in the kitchen and crossing her arms to look at me. "But if you insist on leaving me so soon, I guess I can't stop you."

"I've been on this earth for nearly 21 years now, I'm not going to fall for your pity voice anymore." I said, narrowing my eyes at her.

"Right. You graduate college and suddenly you're an adult ready to take on the world by yourself, without your mother." She sighed. Hold your ground Haley, don't fall for it. "Moving five hours away from your only family on this side of the country. I guess you don't need us anymore."

"Listen, no matter what you say, I'm not changing my mind mama. We've got...plans, and I'm not canceling."

"Right. I had plans with your father 20 years ago too." She smirked. "Speaking of which, now that you've graduated, can we talk about gran-"

"Would you look at that, I'm walking out of this conversation." I said backing up and walking out of the kitchen.

"Wha- Haley." She called after me. "Come back."

"Nope." I yelled walking back out the front door.

I jogged back over to the truck and grabbed another two boxes, just wanting to get the heck back on the road.

"Baby, those boxes are bigger than you." Ethan said, walking the opposite way of me.

"Everything's bigger than me." I sighed. "I'm just trying to get the hell out of here before my mom ends up talking me into having a kid."

"You still should only carry on-" he paused talking for a second. "Excuse me, before she talks you into what?"

"You heard me." I mumbled, walking over the threshold and sitting the boxes on the ground.