Chapter 25: The Questions

"Oh - Dan. I see you have come back to us." I hear Slendy say from inside the kitchen the next evening. "Throughout the past year I have been watching your room, what marvellous and dramatic changes you have."

"Well I have been through a lot." I mutter in reply.

"Like what?" in reply I change back to what I really look like and he takes in a short, horrified gasp. "What have you done to yourself?"

"Well I did get diagnosed with depression at the age of 10 and start self harming at 9 so this isn't much." Slendy turns away from me as I start to use my proxy which I worked on in the past year. "So... I realise most of the people here don't age..."

"Well we don't age. Not much, at least."

"So how old are you?" I question him, looking up at his blank face.

"Old enough for my eyes to decompose and skin to grow over my mouth. Old enough to see empires rise and fall." His head lowers to be figuratively looking at the floor. "Old enough to see my own people be hunted and killed for being what they were, something they couldn't change."

I don't really know what to do but I find myself walking over to him, my tiny, pale arms comforting his monstrous body. What looks like a smile crosses his face but black tears manage to fall from God knows where.

Jeff walks in, whistling a short tune to himself. He looks in shock at Slendy, who now has a river of black running down his face.

"Umm... Slendy?" he asks. Slendy wipes his cheeks and stands, dents still slightly black. "you ok."

"Yes, I'm fine. I'm fine." He stands straight whilst Jeff shrugs and wanders upstairs to his room. I spot a bloody knife in his back pocket... His white shirt sleeves are slightly red.

I realise what he is going upstairs to do.

"Slendy, I'll talk to you in a minute. I need to see Jeff." I say to him.

"That's ok Dan... I'll be fine." I feel bad but he has others. Jeff needs me.

I don't bother knocking. I stand outside, listening. I hear muffled sobs from inside and I can't stand it.

I still don't knock. I walk straight in, seeing him jump and cover the knife using a blanket.

"D-Dan! learn to knock." he says, pulling at his sleeves and using then to wipe his eyes.

I slowly walk over to his bed and pull out the knife. His eyes dart to the ground as I hold it in my hands.

"Why?" I ask him. He looks up at me, surprised.

"What do you-"

"You know exactly what I mean." I sit next to him. "was it me? is it my fault?"

"No Dan... it's... everything." his throws his hands into the air and then puts them over his eyes. "It's not just you. I-I'm glad your back! Its..."

"Just a habit." I whisper to him. I wrap my arm around him. "This is the same with me... i can't help but look at that knife and want to join in."

He takes off his shirt and I see scabs all over his body.

I see the hold his heart came from, nothing keeping his blood circling. it's just... doesn't bleed out. Its staying in there, looking like a swirling glass of red wine.

"I've started to use anything - how ever small - for a reason. It's more about the pain... I'm addicted to the pain..."

"Well... Jeff... I know how hypocritical this will sound but you need to stop. We will stop together, yeah?" I look deep into his dark brown eyes, seeing him look back.

"Dan... The others are made in a three day period. I can do this many in less than three days."

"I burned off half my face and enjoyed the pain." I say to him. He laughs and says

"We both did, Princess."

"Your not lying to me... are you?"

"No. I never would."

"Jeff it's late. We should go to bed." He nods and I stand to leave. Jeff stands too.

"Oh I thought you meant together." I do a short smile. "you know, the best sleep I had in a long time was that day, you know, when you got sunstroke and I couldn't sleep."

"Come on then." I lead him to my room and fall onto my bed. "you won't leave me, will you Jeff?"

"Oh darling," he starts but sleep takes over my mind and I fall unconscious.

~~~Jeff's POV~~~

She caught me.

The only thing that stops me from stabbing her, because she left me. And she found me.

Oh Jeff, remember her face? that's your fault Jeff. she hurt herself because of you. The Voice whispers to me in the darkness.

I stand and go to leave the bed. To cut.

But Dan said I shouldn't. Instead I compromise and wack my head on the wall... again and again... until I get dizzy and I realise my head is bleeding.

I lay back down, next to Dan.

You can't just leave her alone, can you? all you do is harm here, all you do is make things worse for her. The Voice whispers to me again. You should leave her. That's all you can do. It will cause her less pain than you are now.

No. Dan loves me, I love her. I wouldn't hurt her, I know I wouldn't.

What about the other Jeff, the one who will come out to play. Can you control him? It asks me.

I try to sleep, but the question rolls through my mind like a tsunami.

Can I control myself?