Chapter 6: A Walk To Remember

When we get outside, I check the woods for signs of anyone. My adoptive parents know I hang around here a lot, but I cant see anyone. I watch the sky whilst Jeff closes the bunker, then we get back to the path and walk back to my house.

"So, how was school treating you? If you need it, Slendy could teach you anything." He attempts to make small talk as we walk, whilst smiles catches and kills a squirrel.

"Its fine I guess. The only thing I have trouble with is languages and artistic things, but other than that I'm ok." I look around at the silver birch trees in the midday light, their shadows casting a dark gloom on the forest floor. Leaves coat the ground, and the ones left on the trees have a beautiful red-brown tint to them. The sky is mostly clear and blue, making it the perfect crisp fall morning. "I love the fall." I randomly say to Jeff. He looks at me whilst we walk.

"I prefer winter." He says, looking around at the beauty of season change. "It's all old movies and warm hugs, hot chocolate and snow. Shit, do love snow.

"I remember when I was a kid, before all this shit happened, my brother and I use to make igloos and have snowball fights. When we got home, freezing cold and soaking wet, mom would get us our pj's and we'd all sit on the sofas together, me, him, mom and dad, and watch a film whilst snuggled up in our blankets. I remember, one winter, my brother and I were sledging and I hit a tree. Bruised up my nose and eye pretty well, and I was so afraid mom would scream at me. Nope, she just switched on the Grinch and got me a hot water bottle whilst dad made dinner. One year after that, we move out of Alaska and down here. Everything went to shit after that."

"That's a really cute story, did you and your brother get along?"

"That's one way to put it." He chuckled. As i as confused as always, he continued. "I almost committed my first kill for him, and he went to jail for me. We were just kids, I was only 12... Damn, that must have been 5 years ago now."

"I never had any siblings... At least, I don't think I did."

"Oh yeah, I was meaning to ask, what happened to your parents? When I asked before you just started crying. You don't have to answer if you don't want to, by the way."

"They both died in a car crash. Some drunk driver with a van hit them from the side. I was in the car with them, only 1 year old. I think I was sitting on the left, and the driver hit on the right. I would've died if I was on the right, but I only had a bleed on my brain for a few years. After a few strong medications it all cleared up. Don't remember them at all, though. I don't even have any pictures of them, my aunt put me up for adoption as soon as the funeral was over. I was too much work for her, apparently."

We walk in silence for a few moments, until we reach the house. Smiley waits patiently at the bottom, laying down to sleep till we are done. Jeff leads me up the tree, and I follow him, completely focused on keeping my balance. We get to the roof, and sure enough my window is still open. I jump inside and grab a backpack, filling it with all my favourite clothes. I also get my phone charger, some deodorant and a few pairs of shoes. As all of this wont fit into my bag, I get Jeff to carry a gym bag filled with things I need.

At the last minute before we are about to leave, I remember the mess I made. I force Jeff to help me clean it up, and grab a knife from the kitchen. Since John is a chef, they are all incredibly sharp. I remember him talking about an obsidian blade once, how it could cut between cells or something. I wish he had brought one for me to use.

Finally, I grab my adoption mothers credit card. She never takes it with her, letting John pay for everything, then giving him the money later.

"Ok, I'm ready." I finally say, and we leave through the back door to the woods. I make sure I bring my keys, so if I ever need to come back here I've got a way to enter. Smiley runs before us, looking back every now and then to check we are keeping up.

As we walk back I begin to think how I would describe my relationship with Jeff. We barely know each other, but I know a lot about him. I make a mental list of words, mulling over them as we walk in silence. Monster. Murderer. Enemy. Friend. Protector. Devil. Demon. Potential lover? Killer.

He has these moments where I'm convinced if there was a button to kill everyone, he would press it. But then, others where he is very sweet and kind, like what I guess he use to be.

When we get back to the portal, it must be around 11am. Jeff opens it, and we enter again. That same smell of metallic murder fills my nose. The smell has started to grow on me.

"Smells like home." Jeff chuckles as we walk down the stairs. I laugh a little too, but the backpack is beginning to weigh me down. Memories of last time I walked down these stairs fills my mind, and I remember the fear I felt, how it chilled my bones to think about what would be below me. This time, my ears don't pop till we reach the bottom.

"Jeff," I casually ask, "what happened to you when you fell over down here? What was all that pink st-"

"I don't want to talk about it." He snaps, his pace quickening to the house. He doesn't hold the door for me, and I have to practically jog to keep up with his quick pace.

He ignores me for the rest of the day, forcing me to entertain myself. I mainly just go on my phone, but at one point Sally and I play with her dolls. At lunch I tell her a story, about the princess in the tower and the dragon guarding her. She changed it, though. She made the princess kill the dragon, and bathe in its blood.

I skip dinner, as I usually do, and go straight to bed. The house is warm, so I just pull on some booty shorts and a thin shirt. I slip under the mattress, getting perfectly comfy, and fall into a deep sleep.

Dan! Why would you do this to us?

I hear someone screaming.

Why would you kill me Dan?

A male voice

You let her find me, its all your fault!

Help me Dan, Help!

I wake in a cold sweat, and check my phone for the time. The screen illuminates the whole room.

"Three am..." I mutter to myself, checking for notifications. 25 missed calls from my adoptive mum, 2 from the police office. How am I getting reception this deep underground?

I decide to call my adoptive father, so i get out of bed, put a black dressing gown on and go stand outside. looking out at the simulated stars. I pull a pack of cigarettes from my pocket and a lighter, smoking whilst the phone rings.

"'Where are you? Why did you kill that girl? Did that boy do anything to you?" He picks up almost instantly.

"Hello to you too. I'm safe, I haven't killed anyone and no, I'm being looked after."

"By who?" He asks, and I can hear my adoption mother talking in the background. Some other voices too, probably the police.

"My friends. I'm innocent, by the way. That boy kidnapped me and wanted me to take the blame for his killings." Shit I'm so good at lying. I take a drag whilst he talks.

"You need to come home." Is all he says. "The police want to speak to you.

"I can't, the evil cunt knows where I live. My friends are looking after me, don't worry. He can't get me here." He's such a stupid man. He doesn't know that I've started considering this group my friends. "Oh, and I'd recommend you two leave the house, he knows who you are as well. He also thinks I give a shit about you, so he might use you to draw me out. Anyways, bye."

I hang up, finish my cig and go back inside.