Chapter 10

Part Two

"Honest to god I will break your heart, tear you to pieces and rip you apart."

Monday morning came quickly. Over the weekend i tried to be good and do everything my parents told me to, but i avoided speaking to them as much as i could.  

I woke up to my alarm clock and was glad that i had a reason to get out of the house now. I also desperately needed to talk to Cody.  

The car ride was silent. I could feel tension brewing in the air, but i didn't have anything to say to my dad. I mean, what could i say? I already apologized. And the looks that were coming from him and my mom were just making me me feel like a piece of crap. I didn't want to talk to them.  

I exited the car with a single "Bye" and slung my backpack over my shoulder. I threw it down next to my locker and started looking for Cody.  

After weaving my way through the crowded hallway, i spotted him. He was alone, leaning up against the wall with his hands in his pockets, looking dejected. I mentally kicked myself. I couldn't believe i brought all this on him.  

I walked over to go talk to him, but before i could get a word out i heard another voice.  

"Hey Koffman! I heard you're messing around with eighth graders. What are you, some kind of pedo or something?"  

I looked around in horror. The guy it had come was another senior, one whose name i didn't know. I turned back around to Cody with a distraught expression on my facee.  

"Cody i'm so sorry-- he shouldn't have said that, i don't even know how he found out.. im sorry--"  

He held up a hand to stop me.  

"I can't talk to you about this right now. Maybe i'll see you in band or something." He walked away.  

I let out a sob and shut my eyes tightly. After taking a few deep breaths to calm down i went to look for Hayley.  

I came up behind her and tapped on her shoulder urgently. When she turned around i pulled her away from her friends and started talking.  

"Did you just hear that?? One of the other seniors found out about me and Cody and started harassing him about it--in front of everyone!"  

"Oh my god Leslie, i swear i haven't told anyone, I have no idea how he found out. Who else did you tell?" she asked.  

"Just Sarah and Alice."  

"Well i dont know then..." she sounded bewildered. "I dont think either of them would have told."  

I groaned and dropped my face into my hands. Trying to make me feel better, Hayley said quickly, "But--it's not that bad. I'm sure in a few days everyone with forget about it. Don't worry."  

Buurrriiinng!  

"Thats the second bell. We better get to class."

* * * * * * * * * * *  

Cody avoided me for the rest of the day. Even in band, he waited until the last minute to get there so he wouldn't have to talk to me. My dread was starting to grow.  

I went through the rest of the day hoping and praying that this would all blow over. I didn't like being stressed out. I did not function well under duress.  

When i went home i found a two page list of chores for me to do. I sighed and figured it was a small part of the punishments that would undoubtedly be drug out for as long as possible. I started in on them without arguing. Anything to help the current tension in my house.