Chapter 7

"Sarah!" I nervously exclaimed. There she stood, arms crossed, piercing me with her I-know-you're-up-to-no-good-and-I'm-gonna-find-out-about-it, -just-you-wait look.  

"Leslie. I've been looking for you all morning; care to tell me what you've been doing in there?"  

My mind raced. Never had I been good at coming up with stories under pressure. And it didn't help that even when I had time to make it up, I couldn't lie to save my life.  

I blurted out the first thing that came to me.  

"I uh, lost my clarinet and thought that someone might have stuck it in here if they found it."  

Sarah's eyes narrowed.  

"I saw it on top of your locker not five minutes ago."  

"Really? Wow thanks! I guess, er, someone who recognized it put it there. " I laughed nervously and attempted to smile. "Thanks for telling me, now I can stop looking!"  

Her eyes continued to narrow and I did my best to look innocent.  

"Ya know, I haven't seen Cody all morning either. Do you happen to know where he is?"  

"Nope, no clue. I haven't him at all. He's probably just running late.  

Sarah was obviously still suspicious, but she let it go.  

"Well, in case you haven't noticed, the bell just rang. We better get to history or we'll be late. Let's go."  

"No! Wait. I can't yet. I um, left something in there."  

"Well what did you leave?" she asked.  

"My...cell phone. Yeah, my cell phone," I lied again.  

"I'll go with you then," she offered.  

"No, no that's not necessary. It'll only take a second. You just go on to class without me, I'll catch up."  

"Okay then...But you're sure acting weird today."  

"Am I?! Ha ha...ha." I kind of sounded like a psychopath. Something I do when I'm nervous. "Well run along now. I'll see you in class."  

"Okay..." she slowly walked away, obviously weirded out. When I was sure she was gone, I turned back around and went inside.  

"Holy crap!" I whispered to Cody. "That was way to close. Sarah was just out there and I had to do some smooth talking to get her away."  

"Uh oh. We better go," he said urgently.  

Quickly we left and went out into the hallway. Trying not to look too suspicious I hung back to avoid the appearance that we had been together in there. I said bye to him and we went our separate ways.  

For the rest of the day I tried to act normal on the outside but I was just replaying the morning over and over again in my mind. It was so amazing. I couldn't even believe we did that. What did that mean for us? Did he just get caught up in the moment, or were we really in a relationship now? I didn't know, all I knew was that was the most magical (cheesy I know) thing that had ever happened to me. I was just hoping with all of my heart that Cody was feeling the same things that I was.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Later on that night my phone had accumulated hundreds of texts. And about 95% of them were from Cody. I had this weird aversion to deleting messages from him. Whenever I missed him or he couldn't talk I would sit there and reread old ones. Pathetic I know, but I really would do it.  

Looking back, I really didn't do much thinking those days. I never thought through my decisions, never thought before I spoke, and definitely didn't anticipate consequences for my actions.