Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Friday arrived. Jason had told Jo in cryptic texts that he was up to something but enjoyed the fact that he had not told her quite what exactly, which had led to her bombarding him with messages pleading for him to give her more information. The fact of the matter being that Jason was enjoying the added attentions of a very pretty older girl, even though there was nothing in it, it was every young mans ego boost and he was going to milk it while it lasted. 

The boys arrived just after three in the afternoon, Spider praising the acquisition of the seven seater complete with sat nav from his brother, but moaned that he would never have found such a depressing place under his own steam. Grant and Steve were in good spirits as always and tagging along with the usual suspects was their good friend Tim. The boys had all known him since the beginning of secondary school but had never spent as much time with him as they would have liked due to his extra curricular training sessions. Tim was an excellent footballer and was on the fringes of being signed by Norwich City. Jason's father did not know Tim so he would be the ideal candidate to pose as a legal aged driver, plus it was good to see him for the first time in what seemed to Jason like forever. He was a good mate and they all agreed that he should come along just to spend some time together. All importantly, Tim could be trusted. The boys chatted away on the doorstep for what felt like several minutes covering a multitude of subjects, along with Grant nearly wetting himself physically and Steve emotionally when talking of his latest progress on the hottest two Maelstrom games on the market, Trails of Gore and Scum killer 3. This had led to an instant debate on who was the best at both with each proclaiming the accolade. They were all ushered inside and directed to the kitchen table and toilet accordingly as Jason prepared a brew for his rabble. It was Spider who broke away from the pleasantries when they were all finally seated together and voiced his opinions. He called for a hush around the crowded table as he groped his steaming mug of tea, one eye fixed upon the already growing gloom outside that signalled the end of the days light was fast approaching. With the best silence that he was going to get out of the excited teenagers, Spider started. 

'I've gotta be honest with you J, you weren't kidding when you were describing this place. From what I've seen already it's like something out of a horror movie.' 

Grant piped in enthusiastically as always. 'Well you'll fit right in then, won't you fat boy!' The boys all laughed, Spider looked on, almost bored. Grant patted Spiders arm. 'Only joking son. He's spot on though J. What's going on out there? It's just gone three in the afternoon and it looks like dusk if you're lucky.' 

Jason shook his head. 'I told you boys didn't I? It's proper weird but that is nothing compared to the bits of the picture that I do know.' 

Steve raised his eyebrows. 'Spider's told us a few more things than what you told us before but not much, so, what else do you know?' 

'A lot more than I know.' Added Tim. 'All I know is that you've got some funny business going on J so I'm very intrigued to say the least mate. The lads filled me in on bits and pieces on the way down but I thought they were on a wind up to be honest' 

Jason then proceeded to tell the boys everything that had happened over the last few weeks since the last time he saw them. He took his time, trying to remember every little thing that he thought was relevant in an attempt to paint the scene so they saw it just as he did. He then went on to inform them of his plans for the next two days that involved everyone present, and that for it to work they had to execute their parts perfectly. For once, both Grant and Steve looked like mirror images of Spider, their features heavy with burden and thought, though never as pale and drawn. Tim was a cool character, though always bright and smiling, his own thoughts on what had just been told had subdued him too. As Jason finished his story without any interruption, Spider looked around at the occupants of the table.