Chapter 38

Chapter 38

Grant stood uncomfortably on the doorstep as he waited for the bell to be answered. After a few moments surveying the front garden, the lock sounded as the door opened. Katee stood at the threshold with a greeting smile that showed signs of strain. 

'Hi Grant. Thank you for coming over. Won't you come in? It's a frosty one tonight.' 

Grant agreed with her and smiled back with a strained version of his own. 'Thanks. No worries.' 

Katee lead Grant through the spacious house and into the lounge where she politely offered him a seat. 'Would you like a drink at all? Tea, coffee, beer?' 

Grant's eyes lit up at the prospect of alcohol. 'Ahhh, yeah, beer would be sweet, thanks.' He checked his mobile phone nervously. 

Katee returned within moments which had not given Grant a fair chance to feast his eyes over Katee's parents place, impressive already so far as what he had seen. She handed him an ice cold bottle as she sat opposite him with a glass of white wine, her smile towards him had gained a certain warmth now that their pleasantries towards each other had eased their nerves. 

'Thanks for coming over. I wouldn't have put you on the spot like that the other night but it's just that I've been really worried about Jason since he's been up north. He doesn't know that you are here, I didn't want him to jump to the wrong conclusions about why I asked you round.' 

Grant took a deep swig of the beer then wiped his mouth. 'Yeah, I thought as much. I've got to be honest, I do feel uncomfortable being around here without J's knowing but I had a feeling that it was something to do with him being up there. We've all been worried too, thinking that he was losing the plot and all that but after what we saw what was going on up there I think he's done well to keep it together on his own. Well sort of.' 

Katee leaned forward on the edge of her chair as she intently listened to Grant's knowledge of events involving her boyfriend. 'So you're trying to say that what he's been talking about is true up there? That there is actually something a bit underhanded going on?' 

Grant drank again then rushed back to his captive audience, excited that he had her undivided attention. 'You wouldn't believe the half of what we saw, trust me. Weird air, vanishing planes, hidden bases, it's got the lot down there. Thing is it all sounds exciting but Jason's dad's involved in all of it somewhere down the line and that's what's really been eating him up. He was in good spirits though before I left. Say's he's got a big announcement to make tonight. Do you know what he's on about?' Grant looked at his beer momentarily as its strength began to hit him. He opened his eyes wide and attempted to blink away its immediate effect upon his system. 

'Grant? Are you ok there?' 

Grant smiled warmly. 'Oh yeah, fine. It's just a while since I've had a beer. I'm being greedy the way I'm knocking it back. So about this big announcement then? Do you know what it's about?' He checked his phone once again. This time Katee picked up on it and enquired. 

'Sorry, am I keeping you from something?' 

Grant laughed falsely. 'No, not really. I'm waiting for an important call that's all.' 

Katee smiled as she took the smallest of petite sips from the elegant wine glass. 'On the subject of Jason, I know exactly what he's got to tell you, but don't let me spoil his surprise, he'll tell you in good time. Can you tell me more about what you found up there? Who went up there with you?' 

Grant pinched the bridge of his nose in an attempt to liven himself up. 'Ahhh, Steve was there, Tim and Spider, as well as me of course. What's the sudden interest in what's happening up there anyway? Jason was adamant that you had no interest in what he had to say about it all along. ' 

Katee studied Grant's face before she pressed on. 'I know. You're right. Jason and I spoke about it and I feel ashamed that I didn't take him seriously, I should have known better. That's why I want to find out as much as I can so I can understand what he is going through.' Katee stopped as the strain of her guilt concerning Jason filled her eyes with tears. She drained half of her glass of wine and began again with a newly found strength to carry on. 'So, you all saw this stuff then?' Grant nodded silently in mid-swig. 'I just don't know what to say. I thought it was all the work of this Jo girl, trying to poison Jason's mind. Sounds like I was wrong about them both.' 

'Yeah we all saw it, apart from Steve who bottled it when we were over the base, but yeah, we were as shocked as you were. Though Steve did say that when he met Jo, that she seemed to be a nice enough girl and not what you would expect in a nutter.' 

Grant finished off his beer and Katee immediately removed the empty bottle from his hand. 

'So Steve actually met this Jo then?' Katee smiled warmly. 'Another beer?' Grant answered with a heavy lidded stare. 

'Ahhh, no, I'd better not actually. That's bloody strong stuff whatever it is.' 

Katee had strolled into the kitchen. 'Go on, one more won't hurt you. It's a German beer of some sort. My dad has acquired a taste for it. Seems like you have too.' Katee went into the fridge and expertly removed the bottle cap in one swift stroke. 'So you say that she didn't seem to be the nutter type to you?' Katee called out as she spied on Grant checking his phone yet again. 'Do you think that it's possible to see that in a person by meeting them briefly? I only ask because I worried about J being around her, that's all.' At that moment, Katee's phone vibrated a call alert. She retrieved the phone and listened to the caller with deep scrutiny. The only contribution to the call was a flat 'ok'. When she emerged from the call her face had changed. Katee began to scan the worktop and froze her attention on a long carving knife, magnetically attached to the wall with a vast array of other shiny cutting implements. She narrowed her gaze deviously, then removed the blade silently from the wall and hid the implement lengthways behind her forearm as she casually returned to the lounge, her other hand outstretched with the bottle of beer which Grant cautiously accepted from his smiling host.

303