Chapter 41

Chapter 41

The seven seater rolled almost anonymously to the outer fringes of the village. The purple mist had grown thicker in density and with it a surprisingly rapid rise in air temperature. The final few miles to their destination had been a disturbing affair for the four men inside the wagon. They had come across dozens of abandoned vehicles on both sides of the motorway before turning off. After they had stopped and examined the cars, they found no signs of struggle or bloodshed either in or around the area and most eerie of all, no occupants. Some of the cars' engines were still running. It was as if they had just disappeared into the mist, along with it seemed any noise or movement within the surrounding area. The four men felt as if they were the only people left in this part of the world. 

They exited the seven seater in silence. Jason watched the other three go about their business with a calming, if not stern look on their faces. He wished that he was portraying the same outward demeanour to them although he felt fear grip his heart and mind alike. The three brothers stood together as they fitted ear-pieces and began to chat in a low volume. Jason, feeling somewhat left out and awkward, again walked over to them in an attempt to fit in with the subject at hand and feel somewhat more included when Kaile handed him an earpiece of his own and instructed him on how to use it. Rhann, looking slightly perturbed, was questioning Spider. 

'So how far exactly are we away from the target point?' Spider did not answer, instead, his look over to Jason was enough to tell the teenager that he was expecting him to fill in and answer the question at hand. 

'Ummm, I'm not sure Rhann. I don't really know this place that well and this mist is making things worse.' 

Spider smirked at his friend. 'It's ok. I've got it under control. We are actually about a mile west of the village. We'll skirt these fields and make our way in. From there we can get to the shop and see if we can find Jo for you.' 

Kaile looked at Spider with a look that matched Rhanns. 'That's a lot of open ground to cover with four of us with potential hostiles everywhere. Is that the best we can come up with?' 

'It's the only choice unless you want to roll down the main road into the village? You might as well stroll down there with the radio on if you did. Besides, we don't know how many hostiles we are dealing with here if any and we do have the added cover from the mist. Even though the light it's throwing out is casting shadows everywhere, it's thick enough to hide us and our own shadows as we move through.' 

Spider's brothers failed to answer; instead they prepared to move out, knowing full well that they should have known better than to question the tactics of such an experienced campaigner. Satisfied that his answer was sufficient due to the lack of returning conversation, Spider continued. 

'Ok then. Kaile, take point. I want a three metre spread in this soup. J, you follow me, Rhann, tail end Charlie. Oh and J?' 

Jason turned to Spider enthusiastically. 'Yes Spi?' 

Spider smiled. 'Stay cool and don't shoot my brother up the arse, ok?' Rhann and Kaile laughed mildly to themselves as Jason strained out a nervy smile in return. 'Ok, let's move.' 

The mist scared Jason. It had gained a dim light from within which seemed to illuminate the surroundings oh so subtly and cast unusual shadows, a faint outline of the features contained within it but no more. It was possible that the black particles that they had found floating in the air just a few days ago was giving off the light and even the elevated heat levels. The three metre spread pattern that Spider had called for was making Jason's nerves and fear skyrocket as he hugged the jagged, crude stone walls that framed the many fields, trying hard not to crash into them as he went. He could see nothing of Spider in front of him. Even at three metres, every now and again the mist would thin dramatically in pockets and he would be able to see his old mate and even sometimes Kaile further on but it would soon disappear as quickly as they appeared. This left him alone with only the sound of footfalls on soft ground and tarmac and the jangle of equipment and breathing to keep him company and very little else. At one point, Jason called out to Spider to check in on his welfare and was met with an abrupt 'shhhh, earpiece remember! Keep moving.'