Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Jason had returned from his little nocturnal excursion to greet the confines of his ageing bed with utter enthusiasm. It was only the echoing movements downstairs from his father that roused him from his slumber. Jason rubbed his eyes lethargically to enhance his bleary eyed attempt to read the digital alarm clock. It read 9.15am. The old man was usually well gone by this time of the morning. Thoughts of burglars rushed through his mind as he thought of the intrusion he had stumbled across yesterday afternoon in the garden. He realised whoever it was downstairs was making more noise than the house was used to from its new owners, and knowing that the house had gained unwanted attention from an unidentified source, Jason feared the worst. It was a fact underlined by his thumping heart and an immediate evaporation of tiredness. He scrambled around the freezing bedroom putting on his dressing gown and slippers before Jack frost had any chance to strip away any more of his body heat. A half glance from the cat at the end of the bed signified to his master just how un-cool he looked at that moment. Looking around the bedroom quickly for a potential weapon and finding nothing suitable lead the frustrated teenager out of the room to face the source of the noise. Defenceless, Jason made a note in his mind to address the weapon situation if he managed to live through the next five minutes.  

It was only after four stairs were ascended silently that Jason recognised the mumbled curses of his father wafting from the kitchen. With the immediate panic averted, Jason noisily made his entrance into the kitchen, his slippers slapping and dragging against the cold stone floor in a way that only lazy adolescents and the very old can master. A glance from his father towards Jason mirrored that of the cats. He stared at David for a few moments analysing the sight before him. His father was definitely flustered, definitely late and from the unusual bags collected under his eyes, definitely tired. 

'Alright? What are you still doing here?' Probed Jason, his tone was almost mocking, and completely disinterested. Jason's face was slightly lopsided with the slightest hint of amusement at the usually Mr. organised's fall from grace. 

'Morning Jason.' David answered coarsely. 'I'm having a bad start. I've lost my wallet. You haven't seen it have you?' 

Jason looked around the kitchen half heartedly. 'No, not recently. Where did you have it last?' He spotted a crusty loaf on the chopping board and announced his next intention. 'MMM. Tea and toast get in there.' 

David's irritation was barely held in check behind gritted teeth. 'If I knew that then it wouldn't be lost now would it? How about not thinking of your guts for a change and giving me a hand looking for it?' 

Jason had his back turned towards his father and was already in the process of carving his third slice when he reacted. 'Who took the jam out of your doughnut this morning?' He turned and faced his father, staring at the agitated, animated man. 'Listen, you've got a different coat on for starters today. I'm always leaving mine in other coats. Go and have a look.' A silent but visual agreement swept over David's tired looking features as he trotted out of the kitchen and towards the hallway, a silent shake of the head and a look to match followed his fathers exit whilst Jason returned to the task at hand; preparing breakfast for himself. 

A cry of 'Got it!' was met with another shake of the head from Jason who mumbled a string of derogatory comments under the camouflage of nibbling the end of the crust. As David re-entered the kitchen, Jason spun around and decided to quiz his father further. 

'Unlike you, this, isn't it? Flapping about? And you look like you haven't slept a wink. What have you been up to?' Almost immediately, Jason felt the weight of his words and their implications connected to everything that was happening around them. He felt the flushing of his cheeks but knew that he had to ride with it or face the possibility of his apparent ignorance towards his father's nocturnal secrets being uncovered. David on the other hand showed no similar signs of squirming, his irritation and fatigue hid any reaction to the question. 

'Yes I haven't slept much to be honest. There were a few problems at the lab last night and I got called in by security. Turned out to be nothing but by then it was too late.' 

Jason's mind raced. Was it anything to do with him and Jo at the base? Was he spotted? He felt vulnerable suddenly, but kept his cool. 'Bummer. Oh well, least you've got your wallet.' 

David patted his trouser pockets and then his jacket pockets. 'Oh I don't bloody believe this!' 

'What now man!?' 

'KEYS!!' 

Jason strode over to where his father had placed his jacket onto the table, lifted it, and grabbed the bundle of keys hidden underneath, jangling them teasingly at the emotion sapped man in the doorway. Jason's smugness turned from his father to the keys as his eyes fell onto a small dirty ancient looking fat bronze key. David strode over to his son and seized the bunch, unaware of Jason's sudden interest in them. 

'Thanks son, you've been a lifesaver this morning. I'll show my appreciation when I get home tonight, Indian?' 

Jason pointed an excited, agreeing finger in David's direction. 'Good call. I want all the trimmings with that you hear?' 

'Done deal. Gotta shoot. See you tonight.' A shout of 'Keep studying' was swept up in the action of the door opening and closing rapidly without waiting for an answer though Jason hurled one back anyway. His excitement washed over him as he knew he had just seen the drawer key. It was his intention to formulate a plan today with the basis of what he wanted to include in it, clear in his mind. He was just uncertain how he was going to execute that into a foolproof exercise. Now with the key as a welcome addition to work on, his plan would have to be modified and built upon but still he knew that Spider was the man to help him succeed. 

Jason spent the rest of the day rolling his intended plan around in his mind, ripping it apart, analysing the weaknesses and formulating better alternatives. Whilst he pondered throughout the late morning and early afternoon, he took the opportunity to text as many of his friends as he could and Katee, as well as Jo. He had to think at one stage where he was sending his texts to after nearly sending a luvvy duvvy text to Jo. After reeling Spider in by making him feel bad about the random text he had received that nearly cost him his neck, Spider had agreed to drive up next Friday with the lads and see him with an eye on exploring his current local predicament in person. Jason had not told his father of his intentions but knew he would not oppose him knowing that his final exams concluded on the following Monday and that he could hitch a ride back with them to London on the Sunday night. 

True to form, when David re-appeared later on that evening, Jason informed him of the plan that his friends had forced upon him as they ate over a mountain of Indian food cartons. The story was interlaced with many white lies that revolved around them going to a fictional club some 80 or so miles away. The added bonus was that it would mean they were able to take him back to London with them. That seemed to seal the deal with David who reluctantly agreed with Jason's plan but sensing a questioning from his father, he thanked him for his blessing and promptly vanished upstairs with the threat of studying wafting away from his lips. Jason closed himself away in his bedroom without any chance for David to react. Grinning to himself with satisfaction, Jason done the rounds once more via text to confirm the go-ahead for his plans. It was now down to his trusted friends to fulfil their part in his operation.

174