Chapter 35

Chapter 35

David had waited patiently in the kitchen for the past thirty minutes for Dr. Vauss to arrive. The previous few hours before that had seen David pull his act together somewhat compared to the disarray of the last two days and had straightened the house as well as himself to an acceptable level. He had to admit, before he had started, the place looked as if Jason had stayed there on his own for two days and not his so called responsible, level headed father. That thought had made him smile initially, but his brain quickly tainted the happy vision of his son with darkened thoughts for both of their futures. David could not clear a path of logical thought in his mind when he attempted to anticipate the outcome of the called meeting with Vauss. He was as complicated in mind as he was in mood and due to this, a predictable conclusion was an impossibility. With such a broad ranging personality to contend with, David's stomach sank with trepidation as the clock steadily moved towards zero hour.  

Seven o'clock arrived. The kitchen candles were lit in anticipation of his presence. David strolled around the ground floor of the house like a general surveying the terrain before a battle. He was on edge and suddenly jumpy, weary of shadows and shapes inside the house and out. Seven o'clock passed. Vauss had missed his scheduled appointment. This was unheard of in David's history of working with him. He checked his watch and then walked through into the kitchen to double check. It was nearly ten past. David gave a sigh of relief and sat down. The thought crossed his mind to call Vauss but he decided against it, hoping for a favourable reason for his unwanted guest's no-show. A rare smile crossed his drawn, freshly shaven face as he rose stiffly from his chair and headed towards the kettle. Seconds after he had flicked the switch, the door boomed with a familiar sound of an enquiring fist. David's face and heart wilted as his flimsy grip that he had attached to their being fairytale reason to Vauss' absence was wrenched away from him with a harsh and sudden return to reality. 

David edged steadily towards the front door. Even with darkness consuming virtually everything at that time of night, the shape of Vauss still overpowered what was already an impressively sized front door. He steadied himself momentarily as he focused on thoughts of being strong but found it hard to convince himself when his body was still riddled with the effects of a brutal and savage display of temper from the person positioned only a couple of feet away from him. Hating himself for his weakness, physically and mentally, David opened the door vigorously. 

Vauss had his back turned towards David; he was leaning heavily on his black shiny cane with one hand, the other he folded neatly at the base of his back. By the position of his large brimmed hat, he had turned his attentions skywards and did not deviate from his observation even when the door had opened and David greeted him. 

'Dr. Vauss, I'm glad you could make it. I had been slightly worried when you had not arrived on time, it is not like you sir. Is everything ok?' 

With his intimidating powerful voice, Vauss answered casually. 'My dear David. I find your concern for my welfare most touching but you have no need to worry yourself; I am very well, thank you. As for my late arrival, I must apologise. As you know I am a stickler for promptness, it is a good habit to keep I think. No, I am late because I have been embroiled in unexpected and unforeseen developments that have wound their way into my schedule. Unfortunately, life is full of surprising occurrences yet we always seem ill prepared for them, don't you think?' 

'Ahhh yes sir. I would have to agree with you there.' David paused. 'It's bitter outside doctor. Would you like to come inside? I know how you dislike the cold.' 

Vauss chuckled deeply, his unseen gaze, given away by the positioning of his hat as it moved briefly away from the heavens to his limousine and to his two body guards, who had held station, stood either side of the cars front doors. Even from thirty feet away, David could see that they were ample in frame even though their black suits obscured their true size in the poor dappled moonlit light. They smiled as they heard the cavernous, echoing laughter, their eyes hidden behind the same dark glasses fashioned by their boss. Both men had slicked back eighties style hair, one a clone of the other, real iconic heavies. It was the first time that they had remained emerged from the confines of the car. Just as well Jason was not here thought David. He would think that some obscure new wave band had arrived on his doorstep. The boy was notorious for speaking his thoughts, a trait he was grateful he had not given his son.