Chapter 48

Chapter 48

'Yoooou.'  

The boom of Vauss' voice echoed across the mangled expanse of metal that separated them. As if the depth and pitch of the creature's voice was not enough to create a terror that complimented his alleged disfigurement, now he had revealed himself to be something Jason's eyes would never believe no matter how many times his mind replayed the image before him. Now there was a genuine menace laced within the voice. Anger. Hate. Most of what was radiating from the monster was directed at him. Jason had been scared before and recently more than he had ever felt in his life but nothing like this. He was petrified.  

'You are the source of an itch to me boy. An itch that has been beyond my reach for some time now. Do you know what happens when you leave an itch for as long as you can bear then eventually scratch it? You get more pleasure from eventually removing it. You will no longer bother me. I shall crush you and your father will never know. He will keep on working for me and then when I see fit I will kill him too and revel in his pain, when I inform him of your most unpleasant demise, and it will all start.... now.' 

Pieces of metal clanged behind the ominous shape of Vauss. He turned his head slightly towards the noise but thought more of the boy that stood twenty feet across from him than anything else at that moment. It was to cost him. The figure of a large man moved up behind Vauss. His size and power was evident from his outline and heaving ample frame. Rhann had pulled himself up un-noticed from the lower levels of the walkway and threw himself at the white hideous form; his battle cry was the catalyst for his intent. 

'NOOOOOOOO!'  

Rhann hit the ghostly white creature square on in the midsection, a powerful tackle that sent Vauss scrambling back down the hole in the walkway that he had created. Just as it looked as if the big mans assault had been successful, the white form unfurled some of its vines from around its imitated human arms and hands and lashed them desperately around the jagged remnants of the metal structure that jutted out. Rhann picked himself up once again. Jason could tell that there was not much strength left in the giant soldier. He was stunned that he was still alive after being shot and attacked, let alone have the strength and energy to fight. His clothes were soaked with blood from the wounds in his upper right torso. Jason wanted to jump over and help his friend. He couldn't bear to see him in pain fighting alone. Rhann looked up and over at Jason as he attempted to gather himself to finish the clinging creature. 'Jason run! Get away! Hide!' Several white tendrils shot up from the purple mist and hit Rhann square in the chest with the force of a battering ram. He staggered on his heels before unceremoniously crashing onto his backside, more from physical weakness than damage inflicted by the blow. Slowly but relentlessly, the white mass of limbs and torso began to haul itself up from the edge of the broken walkway, standing once more, this time he was focused on his opponent. He grinned demonically at Rhann. There was almost a hint of amusement in his voice as he spoke. 

'You are a relentless creature Algarrenn. I had thought you were finished. Such effort! It is a shame that all of it leads to nothing though, apart from your death.' Vauss looked over at Jason then back at Rhann. 'And his.' Rhann roared with anger and frustration as the beast refused to give in. He looked up once again at Jason who could not help but look on stunned to the spot. The big mans face was distorted with equal amounts of pain and anger. 'RUN!!' 

Jason screamed back. His emotions had begun to seep out as tears fell from his eyes. 'I won't leave you!' 

'You must! You are all we have! Save yourself Jason!' 

'But Jo!?'  

'She's gone Jason! GONE! Save yourself boy while you can!' Rhann threw himself at Vauss with impressive speed and power. He swung his mighty arms at the head and body of the creature, screaming as his fists pounded into the hard, gnarled hide. Vauss hissed as he struck back from a multitude of angles but Rhann pressed on. His fists had become a blur of red as the relatively soft human flesh upon his knuckles ripped open against the hard surface of Vauss' body and face. Gradually the giants strength had begun to fade as the power of his opponent began to tell, resisting his attacker's best shots whilst landing blow after blow on target with every strike, each contact draining more away from Rhann. Jason could see how the fight was going and felt his heart sink as he screamed at the monster. 

'Leave him you bastard! Come on! You want me? Come and get me!' 

Vauss had hauled himself up onto the surviving walkway and had stepped up the ferocity of his assault on Rhann, pummelling him with sickening blows that sent him crashing to the metal surface with a heavy clatter. Vauss turned to Jason. His face and body was stained with the blood of Rhann's fists, mingling with the ivory white that he adorned his body with which concealed even further visual horrors. 

'Oh I shall come for you soon enough. I will obtain a level of pleasure in inflicting pain on you....' 

'NEVER!!!' Summoning the last of his strength, Rhann plunged a sharp shard of metal deep into the ribs of Vauss. The creature let out a sound that could have frozen hell, such was its power and anger, which up until that moment must have been subdued. Vauss spun around and grabbed Rhann viciously by the throat with lightening speed from an unfurled tendril. He whipped the struggling form around and dangled him over the expanse as Rhann tried desperately with both hands to free his ever decreasing oxygen supply. 

'But first I want you to watch this pathetic creature die.' 

Rhann stopped struggling and looked solemnly at Jason. 'Run my Prince.' 

'Prince nothing! Any chance your people have will end with both of you tonight!' 

With his free arm, Vauss sent his vines shooting into Rhann's chest with immense power, roaring in defiance as he did so. Plumes of blood shot out of the back of the giant man, followed by a multitude of blood stained appendages that heralded Rhann's death. Vauss chuckled demonically to himself. It carried across the divide between them as a signal of victory. Jason had not watched the last moments of his friend's death. He had started to run with all his speed towards the ship, some several hundred yards or so up the walkway. His tears blurred his vision as he ran blindly towards the black towering vehicle. His grief was an uncontrollable wave that crashed over him, releasing all of the suffering that he had endured over the weeks and weeks since his nightmare had started. From nowhere, Jason spotted Kato running alongside him as he crashed along the metal decking towards the ship. In one fluid movement, Jason swept the cat up in his arms and held him close to his chest. From behind him he heard the boom of Vauss as he revelled in his victory. 'Oh boy?! You can run boy but I will find you! No matter where you go, I'll find you!' 

His tone was upbeat, mocking almost playful. Jason wiped his tears away and pushed on even faster as he felt the thud of the creatures body land heavily on the decking far behind him and reverberate all the way down to him. He was coming for him. He was next.  

421