Accident

We've been home for about a week, and every day since we've been back home I've hung out with Laine. Soon we're going to pick a date for the wedding, and then we'll have to do all the prep for that, but before we deal with the technical stuff we're just enjoying being engaged. Today, however, we aren't going to be together; Brittany, Sophie, Danielle, Priyanka and I are having a girls day and the guys are going to watch the Cowboys game at Joe's house.

Sophie is supposed to be coming to pick Priyanka and I up in twenty minutes, so I apply a little last minute makeup as my phone begins to ring with Laine's familiar ringtone. Of course I pick up, though it seems like an unusual time for him to be calling.

"Hey, Laine!" I say, holding the phone between my head and shoulder as I apply mascara.

"Harper, it's Kyle. Listen, I'm on my way to the hospital right now. There was an accident," he says, and a stab of fear courses through my body.

"W-what do you mean?" I ask, grabbing the phone in my hand and pressing it against my ear more.

"Laine got hit by a car. I'm in the ambulance with him now, just meet us there," he says, and the phone falls out of my hand and onto the bathroom counter with a loud smack.

I pick up my phone again, making my way out of the bathroom as fast as I can and heading for the stairs.

"Nick! NICKY!" I scream, almost falling down the stairs in my hurry to make it to the kitchen.

Nick meets me at the bottom of the stairs, worry etched all over his face at the sound of my hysteria. When he sees my tears and how absolutely petrified I am, he only looks more concerned.

"What's going on?" he practically shouts.

"Laine's going to the hospital, he got hit by a car-" Nick stops me right there, grabbing his keys and running out to his car with me hot on his heels.

He speeds down the road with more purpose than I've ever seen from him, concentrating hard on getting to the hospital quickly and not being pulled over. Meanwhile, I'm trying not to have another panic attack, which is proving to be pretty difficult. For all I know, Laine could be on his way out right now; Kyle didn't mention how bad his injuries were.

"Harper, it's going to be okay, alright?" Nick says, reaching over and grabbing my hand as he pulls into the hospital parking lot.

I can't bring myself to respond as we head into the lobby, going straight to the desk to see where Laine is.

"Laine Hardy. Where is he?" I ask her, still terrified over what I might find out.

"Yes. He just got here. Room 31," she says, and Nick and I take off through the ER doors.

When we find the correct room, only Kyle is inside with Laine, sitting next to the bed and staring at the ground. Laine's eyes are closed, and for one horrifying second I'm not sure he's still alive, but then I notice his heart is beating. Thank God.

"Hey, guys," Kyle says softly, looking up at us with red-rimmed eyes.

"Hey, man," Nick says, standing with his hands in his pockets next to Kyle's chair as I sit in front of him, clutching Laine's hand like a lifeline. Nick drapes his arms over my shoulders in an effort to comfort me, which it really does, knowing that he's here for me right now. Of course he is; it's Nick. He's always been there for me.

"What happened?" I ask Kyle, tears still sliding down my cheeks.

"We were just walking back from our friend Micah's house. He only lives two blocks over from us. And then this car came around the corner too fast, and we couldn't get fully out of the way in time," he says, ripping his hand through his hair as he talks.

"How hard was he hit?" Nick asks carefully.

"I'm not sure. It's all kind of fuzzy. I just called the ambulance and prayed about it," Kyle says, and Nick nods, falling silent.

Cindy, Barry, and Brittany arrive soon after, all quite as emotional as the rest of us, followed by Joe, Sophie, Kevin, Danielle, and Priyanka. As soon as he sees his family, Kyle goes over to hug them and tell them the story of what happened. Though Nick mutters hello to everyone else, he still doesn't leave my side, making me grateful for him all over again.

About a half hour later, Laine stirs feebly in his bed and squeezes my hand, his eyes fluttering open. I begin to sob again at once, all the different emotions I've felt since arriving here coming to the surface at the same time.

"Hey, I'm okay," he says, a weak smile on his face as he gently wipes my tears away.

"You scared me so bad!" I tell him, and he squeezes my hand tighter.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to," he says.

"I know. But please don't ever do that again," I tell him, and he giggles a little.

"I will definitely try not to," he says, and I give him a watery smile.

"You better," I say.

I continue to hold his hand as he speaks with his parents and siblings, making a little conversation with Joe as my heart rate slowly returns to normal and I can fully breathe again. The doctor tells us that Laine will have to stay tonight, possibly two nights, before he is released, however his injuries were very minor. He only has a few bruised ribs, and though they will be painful, he is very lucky considering the circumstances. I would tend to agree with him, since nobody knew if he was even alive before.

"I'll stay with you tonight," I tell Laine when the doctor leaves the room.

"No, you should go home and get some actual rest," he argues, but I just shake my head.

"I'm not leaving you," I tell him, and he gives in.

After eating dinner at the hospital, the rest of the visitors gradually begin to leave until Nick and Priyanka are the only ones left with Laine and I.

"Well, I guess we should get going then, too," Nick says.

"Thanks for coming, guys," Laine says.

"Of course, man. We had to see you were okay for ourselves," Nick says, making Laine laugh and immediately grab at his ribs after. "Sorry," Nick apologizes quickly.

"All good," Laine says, eyes watering for a few seconds before the pain ebbs away.

"Thanks for bringing me, Nicky. And for being my rock through it all," I tell him, and he nods.

"Always. If you need anything, just call, okay? I don't care what time it is," he says.

"Thank you," I say, standing to hug him and Priyanka, and then they head out the door. I settle myself back into the chair at Laine's bedside, preparing myself for a long night ahead.

"Thanks for staying with me," Laine says, and I smile at him.

"I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. You know that," I tell him, and he grins.

"I love you so much, Harper."

"I love you more, Laine."