Bus

Today we leave for tour, and I'm excited to hang out with my entire family again for a few months, but sad that this means I won't see Laine for a while. I text him quickly before Nick yells at me to hurry up since the tour bus is picking us up first.

I grab my luggage, taking it downstairs and onto the bus

I grab my luggage, taking it downstairs and onto the bus. Immediately my jaw drops; the bus is two complete floors. I've never seen such a big tour bus.

"If you think about it, we've got a lot of people to fit on this bus. Kevin, Dani, Alena and Valentina. And Joe and Sophie, and us. Can't forget the opening act either," Nick says, climbing on the bus behind me.

"The opening act? I didn't know you guys were doing that for this tour," I say, and Nick shrugs.

"We decided to last minute. We're picking them up last," he says, and I walk through the first level kitchen and living space to get upstairs, where the bunk beds are. There's six sets of bunks, so twelve beds total, lined up end to end on either side of the small aisleway with the bathroom at the end of the aisle.

"I was thinking we'd put Kevin's family closest to the bathroom, since they have the kids with them," Nick says as the bus drives to Joe's house.

"Works for me," I say, choosing the top bunk on the left side of the hallway closest to the stairs.

"Nick and I can sleep opposite you," Priyanka says, throwing her luggage on the bottom bunk on the right side of the aisle.

Nick nods, putting his stuff on the bunk above his wife's. The three of us start to set up our beds as the bus pulls up in front of Joe's house and Joe and Sophie climb on board.

"What's up, dudes?" Joe asks, throwing his stuff on the top bunk of the set next to mine. Sophie puts her things below Joe's bed.

"What up?" Nick says, arranging his pillow to be facing the front of the bus.

"Hey, guys," I say, putting my pillow the same way as Nick's so that my feet will be next to the ladder instead of my head.

We arrive in front of Kevin's house, all of us exiting the bus to help them carry all four bags onto the bus. Their luggage goes on the two sets of bunks by the bathroom, Alena and Valentina on the left and Kevin and Danielle on the right. This leaves the one opposite Joe and Sophie's empty for now, as well as the bed underneath mine.

"Last stop, the opening act's house," Nick says, and Joe grins at me, though I'm not sure why.

"The opening-" starts Kevin, as Nick shoots him a warning look. "Oh, yeah, right."

I look between my three cousins, trying to pick up a hint of what they're talking about. Joe's easily got the worst poker face of the three, and he turns away to stare at the wall while trying really hard not to laugh.

"What the hell are you on about, Joey?" I ask, and he just waves me away with one hand as he stifles his laughter with the other.

I look at Sophie, and she just shrugs back, showing that she doesn't know what's going on. Pri is a different story; she is determined not to make eye contact.

"We should be almost to the house," Nick says, peering out the window next to Priyanka's bed.

"Great. Can you tell me what's going on now?" I press him, and he shakes his head at me with a cheeky smile on his face.

"You'll find out soon enoughhhh," he says, and I sigh at him.

"Always so difficult, Nicky," I complain, and the stupid smile doesn't leave his face until we pull into a driveway.

The bus doors open as the mysterious opening act steps onto the bus, luggage in hand. I run down the stairs to see who it is, Nick, Joe and Kevin following close behind me. Joe's laughing again as my eyes widen and I fly into the person's arms.

"LAINE!" I scream, and he beams as he hugs me back.

"Hey! Sorry I didn't tell you about this, it was meant to be a surprise," Laine says.

"You're touring with us?" I ask, not grasping the whole situation as I pull apart from him.

"Yeah. For the entire time," he laughs as I round on my cousins.

"What?" I yell, still too loud because of my excitement.

"After your date the other night, when you went upstairs, I talked to Joe and Kevin about having him open for us. Then I called and asked him if he'd be interested, and he said yes, but we agreed it would be cooler as a surprise," Nick explains with a smile.

"You guys are awesome," I say, hugging Laine again before giving my cousins a group hug.

We all head back upstairs to the bunks, all the girls smiling when they see me and how happy I still am over the shock.

"Do you want to take the bunk under mine?" I ask Laine, pointing to it, and he nods, putting his stuff down.

We all climb onto the top bunks; Laine into mine, Pri into Nick's, Sophie into Joe's, Danielle into Kevin's, and Valentina into Alena's, so that we can talk for a while before eating. Though the real excitement of shows doesn't happen until tomorrow and we have a full night of traveling ahead of us, everyone is having a lot of fun. Everything is very lighthearted, and everyone is doing a good job of bringing Laine into the mix and helping him feel that he belongs with our family. I can't help but think that if the rest of the tour is this way, it'll be the best time of my life. For real.