Comeback

Nick helps me make pizzas while we wait for Joe and Kevin to arrive, and we blare music from their new album, Happiness Begins.

"Your favorite song from this record is Comeback, right?" asks Nick.

"Yeah," I say, and he turns it on. I mime playing the piano as he raises the pizza cutter as his microphone and begins to sing.

"Come back to me, baby, I'll come back to you. You know the place that I go running to. I get scared when you're scared but what else can I do? Come back to me, baby, I'll come back to you. Wherever you are right now, know somehow, I'll be on the way like a bat out of hell. Heaven knows I'm proud, but I'll turn 'round. Baby if you stay, then I won't let you down, oh. Whatever we've done, whatever we'll do, baby if you come back now, I'll come back to you."

Joe walks in right as his part of the song is about to begin, drops his bag, and uses his phone as a microphone as he takes over.

"Come back to me, baby, I'll come back to you. Light up the world like only you can do. If you're lost on the way, then I'll get lost too. Come back to me, baby, I'll come back to you."

"CHORUS!" yells Joe, and Nick and I join him singing it.

"Wherever you are right now, know somehow, I'll be on the way like a bat out of hell. Heaven knows I'm proud, but I'll turn round, baby if you stay then I won't let you down. Oh, whatever we've done, whatever we'll do, baby if you come back now, I'll come back to you. Ooh ooh, ooh ooh, comeback, ooh ooh, ooh ooh, comeback, ooh ooh, ooh ooh."

I drop out as their harmony comes up, and they continue to sing, smiling at each other as if this is a real performance.

"Come back to me, baby, I'll come back to you. You know the place that I go running to. I get scared when you're scared but what else can I do? Come back to me, baby, I'll come back to you." they finish, and I applaud loudly as they grin.

"Chills, guys. Amazing," I say with a laugh.

Just then, Kevin enters the house with a bag for him and a bag for Nick. "What did I miss?" he asks.

"Only the best performance of Comeback ever," says Nick, punching Kevin in the shoulder.

"Hey! You were missing the best piano player ever so it couldn't have been that good," he retorts, pretending to be offended.

"I'm just surprised Joe didn't forget the lyrics," I say, grinning at Joe cheekily.

"I don't always use the teleprompter," he says, crossing his arms and turning away from me with a smile on his face.

"Yes he does," Nick whispers in my ear.

"I heard that!" yells Joe.

"You were meant to," says Nick, and the two of them cut the pizzas while I help Kevin take the bags to the guest rooms.

"Thanks for coming over," I say when we're out of earshot of the others.

"No problem, it will be fun. Everything okay, though?" he asks.

"Um, well, now it is. But I called Nick earlier because I've had three panic attacks today and I didn't know how to deal with it. He figured maybe someone should stay with me tonight," I explain quickly.

"That's terrible! I'm glad we can be with you, then," says Kevin, dropping his bag and hugging me.

"Honestly, I'm glad you can too," I say, smiling at him.