Shopping

"They're here!" I call up to Priyanka, who races down the stairs after me.

The two of us slide into the backseat of Sophie's car, with Danielle already riding shotgun.

"It's finally dress day! Are you excited?" Sophie asks as she backs down the driveway.

"I mean yeah, I just don't really know what I'm looking for," I say, and Priyanka and Danielle laugh.

"We've got you covered there. We're experienced," Danielle says.

"This is why I need you guys," I say with a giggle.

It doesn't take us long to arrive at David's Bridal, my store of choice because it's less pricey than some of the other places I've researched. And they seem to have a nice selection of dresses as well, so that's always good.

"Hi, ladies! Who's the bride-to-be?" asks an overly friendly worker as soon as we enter the store.

"Uh, me," I tell her, and she looks a little surprised, but recovers quickly.

"Young love! How old are you?" she asks me.

"Eighteen," I say, and she nods.

"Adorable. So what are we looking for?" she says, and I look at Danielle for help.

"I think she just wants to try some stuff, see what feels right," Danielle says helpfully, and I smile gratefully at her.

"Perfect! I'll just get your size then, and bring you some options over here! Feel free to look around a little!" the lady says, measuring me and then running around the store.

"Well, she seems like she enjoys her job," Sophie says, and I laugh.

"She certainly does," I tell her.

"At least she knows her stuff," Priyanka says, and we all nod.

"Thanks for coming to do this with me, though. No way could I do this alone," I tell the three of them.

"Girl, we got you!" Sophie says, and the other two agree as the worker comes back with a few dresses.

"How about we try these on, see what you think! That way we'll have a little more of an idea," she says, and I oblige, heading behind the curtain to change as Sophie, Danielle, and Priyanka sit in chairs to watch.

The first dress I try on is a gigantic white princess dress, which feels like a junior prom dress to me. Though I think it looks nice, it's just way too bulky and doesn't feel like me. It's also very plain; there isn't much lace or flowers or anything on it.

"It's kinda big," I say when I show it off.

"I think it looks nice. But it's not really your style, is it?" Sophie pipes up.

"Not really. I also think it's kind of, I don't know if boring is the right word, but-" I start.

"No, I know what you mean. I don't know, I would keep trying dresses on," Danielle says, and I nod, heading back to change again.

The next one I try on is more of a mermaid fit, with lots of lace decorating the shoulder straps. I'm a little insecure in it, because it really hugs my body tight and I feel like it shows off my curves a little too much. But I decide to show my audience anyway, because their opinions matter to me also.

"You look really nice in that!" Priyanka says immediately, and I smile.

"You're smoking hot, Harper," Sophie says.

"Thanks, guys. But don't you think it's a little tight?" I ask.

"Well, that's the style! But if you're not comfortable in it, don't get that one. You want to be feeling amazing in whatever dress you pick, and not insecure," Danielle says, reading my thoughts.

"I think I'll try some other ones on," I say, changing again.

I try on a trumpet dress, which I don't like at all, a tiered skirt, a peplum, a portrait back, and I'm getting absolutely nowhere. I'm starting to get discouraged when Sophie opens the curtain a little bit and hands me a dress that she's picked out.

"Here, just try this one. It's an A-line, and it looks like it has a little country taste to it," she says.

"Thanks," I say, quickly changing into it. Sophie knows me better than anyone here, so if she's picked out the dress, I'm sure I'll love it.

It's absolutely amazing. It has sleeves with flower patterns on, which I like, and the back is open but still modest. The dress doesn't cling to me but looks flattering still, and it's not super bulky like other styles. I'm in love with it, and I practically rip the curtain aside to show the others.

 I'm in love with it, and I practically rip the curtain aside to show the others

"Harper, oh my goodness. That's the one right there," Priyanka says.

"You look gorgeous!" Danielle says.

"You look so good. And I'm sure Laine would love that one!" Sophie says.

"This is my favorite one ever. This is the one," I tell them, and the worker beams as she places a veil over my head to give us the full effect.

"You look beautiful, sweetie!" she says, and when I look at myself in the mirror, with everything on, I almost cry.

"I love this dress. I can't wait to have everyone else see it," I say.

"Only two weeks to go, so that's lucky!" Sophie says, hugging me.

I buy both the dress and the veil, because I liked how they both looked together so much. I literally can't stop smiling the whole time, even when we're in the car on the way back to my house.

"I can't believe I just got my wedding dress!" I exclaim.

"And I can't believe you're getting married before me," Sophie jokes, and I laugh.

"Me either, honestly. I'll tell Joe to get a move on," I say, and she smiles in the rearview mirror at me.

"Maybe we'll elope," she laughs.

"Honestly, it sounds like something the two of you would do," I say, and she shrugs.

"I can't wait for this wedding. It's going to be a good one," Priyanka says.

"I hope everything works out the way we planned!" I say.

"You guys are more organized than Kevin and I were," Danielle says, and I giggle.

"Well, yours turned out good, so we should be okay," I say, and she nods.

"It'll be wonderful, I'm sure," Priyanka says, as we pull up in front of our house.

"Thanks for the ride, Sophie. And thanks for all your help, guys!" I tell them, bringing the bag out of the car with me.

"Our pleasure! See you soon, Harper," Danielle says, and Sophie takes off down the road again as we head inside.

Two weeks exactly. Two weeks until the happiest day of my life. Everything is finally ready, I finally have my dress, and now I just can't slip up and say anything about it in front of Laine. Here goes nothing.