Chapter 16~ Salvage Yard

JJ'S P.O.V:

  "Pope, we're not stealing the drone. We're borrowing it," Izzy tries to explain from across from me. Pope sulks silently as John B continues to drive down the road.

  Ever since we'd taken her out of that Kooks house she's barely looked at me, let alone say more than three words to me.

  Honestly, I didn't know why she was pissed. I also didn't understand why she would go with Rafe anyway.

  She had to know what type of person he was, I know I did. Rafe had to be manipulating her, he knew Izzy was naive and trusted people to easily so he was using her. He couldn't actually like her.

  Then he had the nerve to kiss her. If Izzy hadn't been there I would've gladly beat his face in.

  Everything about him just makes me want to punch him in the face, especially the way he looks at Izzy.

  Rafe was the type to play games.
Izzy was the prey, he was the predator. I just had to keep her away from him.

  I've always had the urge to protect Izzy, even when I'm not with her. I care about her more than she thinks.

  Feeling someone's eyes on me I glance up and Izzy quickly looks away and murmurs something to Pope.

  Everytime I looked at her I often found it hard to look away.

  One time I'd asked John B what he'd do if I liked Izzy. He'd kindly said he'd break both my arms if I ever tried to even kiss Izzy.

  Two days later he'd made up the no Pogue on Pogue macking rule. But if he broke the rule and kissed Kie, that meant I could break them too, right?

  "Humans are the only animal that can't tell fantasy from reality," Pope says as he crosses his arms over his chest.

  "Did you come up with that?" Kie ask from the passenger seat of the van.

  "No, Albert Bernstein came up with it but it applies to this whole treasure hunting thing."

  "Oh," Kie says quietly as Izzy stares aimlessly out the window.

  "So, which is it?" Pope says, training in his seat to look at John B and Kie, "Fantasy or reality?"

"Why are you so weird Pope?" I ask as I lick the glue strip before holding the rolled joint between my lips.

  Izzy scowls slightly at me as I take out a lighter.

"It's fantasy but possible reality," Kie answers Pope.

  "Reality," Izzy says as she leans her head against the van.

  "Virtual reality," I mumble as I go to light the joint but Izzy leans across Pope and snatches it out of my mouth.

  "To keep the signal clear," She shrugs, throwing it somewhere against the trunk.

"You know what your problem is?" I ask, and she lifts her eyebrows at me.

"You?" She replies questionably as John B parks the van in front of the salvage yard.

  "No, it's that you need to relax Iz, you're always so tense," I say and she rolls her eyes. "I am not to tense."