Pilot

*EDITED*

A slight breeze made my hair wave lightly behind me from where I sat beside JJ on some sort of unfinished deck. We were all hanging out at an unfinished construction house. When I say we, I mean the crew, the Pogues.

It's where we came when we had nothing better to do. We were either here, or out at the marsh. Our mission this summer, according to my brother, was to have a good time, all the time. So far, all we've done is nothing but fish and run around like hooligans.

"That's what, a three-story fall to the deck? I give you about a one-in-three chance of survival." Pope says as John B, my brother, attempts to balance on the edge of the roof slightly with a beer in his hand across from where I was sitting.

"Hm," John B murmurs as he licks his finger and sticks it up to test the air jokingly, "Should I do it?"

"Please do," I say quietly to myself as JJ laughs softly from beside me.

  "Yeah, you should jump. I'll shoot you on the way down," Pope nods pointing a drill at him.

"You're gonna shoot me?" John B says as he makes a fake gun with his hand and aims at Pope, "Pow!"

  I roll my eyes but quickly get distracted as JJ lightly traces shapes against my bare leg. I glance down at his his hands, feeling the slight coolness of the silver rings on his index and middle finger.

  I felt a chill run up my spine and decided that it was just from the breeze against my skin. I regretted wearing shorts and a tank top since now it was getting chillier.

The thing about JJ was, I've liked him for as long as I can remember. Even when we were little kids playing hide-and-seek in the back yard and playing with dump trucks along the beach.

I've never told him about my feelings and there was a perfectly good reason why. He was my brother's best friend. There's no way my brother would even want us to date each other, and JJ definitely only thought of me as a sister.

There was also a rule, that I had no clue who came up with, probably my dumb brother, but the rule was no Pogues were allowed to get with other Pogues. So me and Jj being together was out of the picture.

"They're gonna have Japanese toilets with towel warmers," Kiara (aka my best friend) says walking out of the house towards us.

"Of course they are, why wouldn't they?" JJ remarks, taking off his hat to run a hand through his blonde hair.

I snatch his hat out of his hand and place it on my head, making him roll his eyes at me while taking another drink of whatever beer he was drinking now.

  He always let me wear his hats, half the time I ended up keeping them.

"This used to be a turtle habitat, but, who cares about the turtles I guess," Kiara frowns, turning to look up at John B.

"I can't have cold towels," my brother says from where he stands at the edge of the roof.

  I shield my eyes from the glare of the sun to scowl at him. "Can you please not kill yourself?"

  Kiara sighs. "Don't spill that beer. I'm not giving you another one," JJ says standing up to lean against a rail of some sort.

"Woah! Oh, shit," John B stumbles slightly as he loses his balance and the beer smacks against the ground, spilling everywhere.

"Of course you did, like right when I said not to," JJ sighs.

  "Smooth," Kiara comments, smiling at my brother as he groans, looking sadly at his fallen beer.