Chapter 9~ Scooby gang

"And then we were right outside like this-" JJ says, demonstrating him crouching against the side of the Château, "And then all we hear is just, Bam! Bam! Bam!"

  "Knocking paint off the wall G! From the inside," JJ says as he tries to explain what just happened to a very confused Pope and Kiara.

  "All right?" JJ continues, "And I'm just looking at him like- wait, first off, look at this shit. Look at it," JJ says as he runs his hands through his hair in front of Pope, making flakes of paint fall out, all over the ground.

  "The house," Pope protest.

   "That's dandruff,  that's disgusting," Kie says, making a face and I laugh. "Okay, thank you," Pope says as JJ continues to shake the flakes out of his hair.

  I bite my tongue to control myself from busting out laughing at what was happening in front of me. John B snorts from beside me, where we leaned against the porch rail.

  "Look at all that. All right? That's paint." JJ says, now his hair currently looking like a rats nest, "At that point, I was just, like... waiting for death."

  "JJ, stop being so dramatic," I laugh. "So you saw the guys that shot at us right?" Pope ask and JJ responds with a short, "yeah."

  "Did you get a good description of them? What did they look like? Anything we can bring to a police report?" Pope ask, glancing around at us.

  "Uh, burly," I say, making Pope stare at me, "Burly?" He ask.

  "Yeah," JJ agrees,"You  know, like-"

  "That's not very helpful," Kie sighs.

  "Okay, well, no, like the type of guy at my dad's garage. I mean you guys know he made cargo hides for drug smugglers," JJ says as he starts to pace.

   "I can tell you with full confidence guys, these boys, these killers... they're square groupers." JJ says as he puffs out smoke from his vape.

  "They're square groupers? Like narco square groupers? Like Pablo square groupers?" Pope ask and JJ nods, "Yeah, man."

  "You guys, not everything is a kingpin movie," I sigh.

  "What does this square grouper look like specifically?" Pope ask, obviously fed up with JJ. 

  "You weren't there-" JJ begins but Pope talks over him, "Because apparently you don't know what to look for!"

  "Dude! I wasn't taking little mental polaroids the entire time man, I was under duress, Okay?"

"But I can tell you...I can tell you by the way Ms. Lana was screaming, that these guys are serious, serious hombres, man," JJ finishes.

  "Okay, but why would they want the compass?" Kie asks from beside me.

   "That things a piece of shit, you couldn't pawn it off for five bucks if you wanted to," Pope says making me give him a sharp look, "No offense. I know it's like in your family-"

  "The office," My brother interrupts. "What?" Pope ask quizzically.

  "Dad. Our dad's office," John B says looking at me. "He always kept the office locked because he was worried about his competitors stealing his Royal Merchant research," JB explains to the others as we follow him into the house.

  "We used to laugh at him like he was gonna find it," I say, finally realizing where my brother was going with this.

  "Now that he's gone, we've just left it like he had it," John B says as we reach the door to our dad's office.