Chapter 12~ Merchant

I shine my flashlight on the slightly hidden space as I reach in to pull out the large white envelope.

  On the front of it, written in permanent black marker were the words, for Bird and Belle. Those were dad's nicknames for John B and I.

  "That's not gold," Pope sighs as I hand my brother the envelope.

  I grunt quietly as I pull myself up and sling my legs over the hole. "Here, I gotcha," JJ murmurs as he grabs my waist to lower me down gently.

  "Holy shit," John B mutters, "This is from our dad."

  The sound of a vehicle approaching quickly distracts our attention from the large envelope. "Code red. Code red. Square groupers! Square groupers!," JJ says as he finishes the last of his blunt and throws it onto the grass.

  "It could be the guys that robbed your house," Pope hisses as we hide alongside the tomb. I peek around the side of the stone wall and watch as the vehicle comes to a stop.

  "Light! Turn off your lights," Kie urges as John B shoves his up his shirt and JJ frantically clicks his off.

  "John B your light," I groan quietly at my clueless brother. You could still see the light shining out from under his shirt.

  "Do you think it's them?" Kie ask as JJ and Pope lean out beside me to peer at the vehicle. It was to dark to make out if it was the black truck or not.

  "Homies got a gun," JJ says as a figure steps out of the vehicle, shining there flashlight around. "JJ," I begin, "I don't think that's-"

  "Screw this," Kie mutters before she takes off. "Hey!" A man shouts, making us take off after Kie.

  "Stop right there!" The man shouts as we sprint towards a mechanical driveway gate with a concrete wall on both sides.

  "Hurry up!" JJ yells as the man shouts and runs towards us yelling. Pope attempts to jump over the gate but instead his shorts get caught on one of the spikes.

  "Guys! Guys," Pope gasp as he struggles to pull free. "God damnit Pope," I groan.

  "Pope, come on man," JJ says as puts his hand on his back pocket as if reaching for something.

"I got you," Kie says as she attempts to pull on his shorts.

  "Pope, don't move, okay?" JJ says as he pulls the gun out of his pocket and aims at Pope.

  "JJ what the hell?" I say as John B rips the gun out of JJ's hands.

  "Wait, you're gonna rip me!" Pope whines as Kie forcefully pulls on his shirt.

  "You're fine, hurry up," I say as I glance at the quickly approaching man.

  "No, no, wait, stop-" Pope begs as his shorts rip loudly and his feet land on the ground making him stumble into Kie.

"Nice! Come on, dude," JJ snickers as we all laugh and run towards the van with Pope only in his white briefs.

  "It's like a little tootsie roll," I burst out laughing as I force myself to run faster alongside JJ and Pope.

"Come on!" Kie laughs as we reach the van.

  "Get in!" John B yells as he runs to the driver's side and Kie jumps into the passenger seat.

  Pope opens the vans doors and hops in followed closely behind by me and then JJ who practically dives into the van, nearly landing on me.

  "Step on it!" JJ says as he slams the vans door shut and John B steps on the gas petal, throwing us all back as we attempt to get into our seats.