Chapter 7~ Diver Down

*Not Edited*

  You know, we should have learned a long time ago to never listen to JJ. He's full of bad ideas, like stealing from JB's rich boss. But this time he was right, we had nothing to lose.

Which is why John B was currently unlocking the door to get into Rafe Cameron's dad's boat while I stood beside him.

I'd switched into a butterfly crop top and shorts. Something easy to get off. I had a striped bikini on underneath.

My dad said the island was America on steroids. The haves and have nots like any place, but magnified and multiplied. The way I see it, the game's rigged. Maybe it always has been.

With no parents, no money, and no one looking out for us, we had no chance. Unless we make it on our own.

"Hurry up," I say as my brother grabs the scuba gear out of the boat's small closet. "Give me your bag," says John B and I hand him the duffel bag I'd had slung over my shoulder.

I quickly help him shove the tanks and scuba gear into the bag and we run up the small steps, him carrying the heavy bag.

"Oh hey," a female voice says as we're walking out the boats door. I hold back a groan. Sarah Cameron, kook princess, Rafe's sister. The usual rich daddy's girl.

"Are you stalking us? Plotting your revenge?" she ask with a small smile.

"Yeah. Why don't you just tell your daddy I blew the bilge on Druthers?" John B sighs, "Everything's good to go. Just toppin' off these tanks," He sets the bag down into our boat.

"Hey are you okay?" Sarah ask my brother, walking towards us, "Cause that eye of yours looks really gnarly," she smirks.

"You know what?" My brother says, annoyance dripping into his voice, "You can tell Topper he won the first round. I'll get him next time," JB says as he climbs into the boat and helps me in after him.

"So there's just gonna be a reign of terror on this island now?" Sarah ask.

"Wars have been started for less, Sarah Cameron," my brother says as he unties the boat's rope.

"Okay. Can we drop the whole Pogues versus Kooks thing? It is really stupid," Sarah says as she leans against her boat, looking down at us.

"Oh," I say finally, "You know, it's easy to say when you're a Kook." I try to contain myself from glaring at her. She stares at me for a few seconds like my existence just bothered her.

John B starts the boat as Sarah salutes, then flips us both off. I use both my middle fingers to flip her off as JB starts to drive the boat away.

• • •