Chapter Twelve

The next day, Chloe and I ate lunch alone, since Josh still wasn't speaking to her, and Grayson was eating with him. Five minutes before the end of the period, the boys walked by us on their way back into the building. I greeted them both, and Josh deliberately looked everywhere but at Chloe, again.

Chloe started fuming, and glared at the boys' backs. Before they made it out of earshot, she called out to Josh.

"Real mature!" She said loudly, and the boys spun around, "I'm sick of this break crap, Josh. I gave you time, but if there's a chance for us, I need you to tell me, and if there's not I deserve to know sooner rather than later"

We all gaped at Chloe for being so unexpectedly blunt, but I was the first one to recover. I knew her and Josh needed to work this out now, and alone.

"We'll leave you guys to talk" I said, grabbing Grayson's hand and dragging him into the building.

"That was badass of Chloe" Grayson said in admiration, "Josh has been a total wimp about all of this"

"It was pretty boss" I agreed, "What do you think Josh is gonna say?"

"Could go either way" Grayson shrugged, "He loves her a lot, but he doesn't trust her at all right now"

"I can't help but feel like this is my fault" I groaned.

"If it's anyone's fault, it's mine" He argued, "If I wasn't such a dick to you, you guys wouldn't have had to spy"

"Good point" I said, pushing him teasingly, "You suck"

He laughed and we walked to class together.

For the rest of the day, Chloe didn't answer her texts, but I knew she hadn't left school because her car was still in the parking lot. Right after AP Chem I rushed out and met her by her car before she could escape without giving me an explanation.

As I approached, I noticed that her eye makeup was still perfect and she didn't show any signs of crying. I took that as a good sign.

"What happened with Josh?" I asked, cutting right to the chase.

"We broke up" She answered flatly, putting her books into the backseat of her car.

"What!?" I said, shocked, "What did he say?"

"I told him he needed to tell me if we were done or not because I can't wait around for him to make up his mind forever, and he said he can't be with someone he doesn't trust" She said emotionlessly, "So that's it"

"Oh Chloe" I started.

"Don't do that, I don't want pity" She looked up, meeting my eyes for the first time, "It's for the best. I wanted to know where we stood and now I do. It's always better to know"

"I'm still sorry, Chlo" I said, putting my arm around her, "I know you really liked him"

"There are other guys" She shrugged, working really hard to seem indifferent, "But hey, there's a party tonight, and we're going"

"Tonight?" I asked, alarmed, "Chloe, it's a school night"

"Come on, Serena!" She pouted, "I want to get really, really drunk so I don't cry. Please?"

"I'll see, okay?" I softened, giving her a smile.

"Alright, let me know" She said, getting into her car.

I nodded, walked across the parking lot to where I was parked, and drove home. Sitting on my porch right in front of my door was something that caught me completely off guard.

It was a bouquet of red roses in a beautiful vase.

I would've assumed they were for my mom, but the card clearly said "Serena" on the front in male handwriting.

I scooped them up, and brought them inside of my house. I sat them down on the table, and grabbed the white envelope that came with them. I didn't want to leave myself time to speculate on who sent them to me.

I opened the letter, looked to the bottom and saw that they were from Brayden.

With half a mind to throw them and the letter out without sparing them another glance, I started reading. I had to know what it said. I'd regret it if I didn't at least read it once.

Dear Serena,

I know I don't deserve to ever speak to you again, but if you could just read this letter, I'd really appreciate it. Even if you never talk to me again, it'll still be okay because at least you'll know. There's nothing that can excuse what I did to you. I feel sick over all of it, and I think you deserve an explanation about a lot of things.

That day in the courtyard, I said that I never loved you. That was a complete and total lie. You were my first love and I think I'll always be a little bit in love with you because of that. But, over the summer, my mom started to get sick again, and I didn't want to tell you. I know you asked how she was doing a million times, I just didn't want to burden you with that. But Kelly knew, and she was really there for me. I kissed her in a moment of weakness, Serena, I swear I didn't mean to cheat on you. But that's when I knew that somehow I fell out of love with you, because a year ago, I would've died before cheating on you. I'm sorry. I know how I did the breakup was horrible, and there's no excuse for that. I wish I didn't hurt you.

And about yesterday, I feel sick to my stomach just thinking about it. If you wanted to press charges and put me in jail, I would think that that was completely fair. I wouldn't blame you one bit. My mom was supposed to be in remission and now they found new cancerous cells in her just a few days ago. I'm so angry and scared and upset and confused, but none of that excuses what I did. I assaulted you. This is me admitting guilt, if you do want me arrested. I'm so so sorry. I will never live with myself because of this, Serena.

I want to believe that you know me. We dated for a year and I was crazy in love with you. I want to believe that you can see that this isn't who I am, even if you can't forgive it. I've done some incredibly fucked up things lately, and I hate the person I've been over the past few months. Do you remember who I was when we were dating? Was I better or is this who I've been all along? I think I must have been better, because you loved me and you're the kindest person I know.

You don't need to answer those questions. You don't ever need to speak to you again. Just know that I miss you, and I'm so sorry for everything I've done. Also, I'm sure Grayson has already told you why we hate each other, and I know you probably think the worst of me for it, and I don't blame you, but I just want to explain. I was in love with you from the day you transferred here, and I didn't want anything to get in the way of us being together.

I'm so sorry for everything. I never meant to hurt you, but I did a million times. I'll leave you alone now.
-Brayden

I stared at the letter, and ran my fingers over the cross outs and the smudges. I placed the roses gently on my bedroom desk, then I wiped the tears off of my face, picked up my phone, and dialed Chloe.

"When's the party?" I asked, as soon as she answered, "I need to be drunk, like right now"

Author's note- Hi guys! I want to thank everyone who waited for this chapter and is still reading this story because this update took forever. My personal life has honestly been the world's biggest wreck and it made it really hard to write, but it feels beyond good to be back.
I can't believe that this story has OVER 24,000 reads! I am so grateful for you guys. I never imagined more than a couple people would read anything I've ever written and I couldn't be happier.
Sorry this chapter is kind of short! I could've written this with the party too but then it would've been really long, and taken even longer, and I totally owed you guys an update.
Love you love you love you all, let me know what you think!

#205 in Teen Fiction