Chapter Nine

The rest of the week was like a retrogression back to when I first started dating Brayden at the beginning of Junior year. Brayden was always around to hold open a door, or give me a smile, and in contrast Grayson acted like I didn't exist.

But then Friday rolled around, and Brayden and I managed to finish the AP Chem lab early.

"How's your day been?" Brayden asked, nonchalantly.

"Why do you even care?" I asked, curiously.

The smile slid off of his face, and I felt mildly guilty about it, to my surprise.

"I mean- not to be mean or anything- I just don't know why you care about my day" I tried to explain, awkwardly.

Brayden leaned forward, as if to tell me a secret, and I internally winced at how close we were. The closest we've been since the break up, for sure.

"I wasn't lying about missing you, Serena" He said, sincerity shining in his eyes. I could still read him so well, and I knew he was being honest.

"Brayden, you know this isn't fair" I sighed.

"I know, and I'm sorry" He said gently.

"Why'd you do it?" I asked, softly.

"Huh?" He replied, apparently not hearing me.

"Why'd you even do it in the first place?" I repeated.

He sighed, looking around the classroom quickly. He shook his head slightly, turning back to face me, and speaking again in something of a whisper.

"This isn't the place and time for this conversation" He answered, "Do you wanna grab a coffee after school one day?"

"Is this some sort of evil plot where I end up dead, and you and Kelly hide the body and then dance on my grave?" I asked, raising my eyebrows suspiciously.

"You'll have to come to find out" He laughed.

"I'll think about it" I sighed, not sure what to do. On one hand, I was dying to know what he was going to say, but on the other, I didn't really want to hang out with him outside of school.

"Serena, I just want you to know that when I said that I never loved you, I wa-" Brayden started.

Just then, the overhead announcements crackled on, and Brayden was forced to stop mid sentence. I was grateful, because it seemed like whatever he was going to say was a bit too deep for in the middle of a classroom. Especially one that held Grayson, who was sitting just a bit away from us.

"Attention seniors, the names of your class valedictorian and salutatorian are in!" Our principal said tonelessly.

I felt my heart beating basically out of my chest. This was everything I wanted for so long, and I could practically feel it.

"Your salutatorian is Daniel Hershbomb" She announced, attempting to inject some enthusiasm into her voice.

She took a dramatic pause, and I thought I may faint from the suspense. I felt eyes on me from everyone in the room, and I thought I might explode from the pressure of it all.

"Your valedictorian is Serena Briggs" She said finally, "Congratulations to both Serena and Daniel!"

My heart stopped, and the biggest grin split on to my face. I had finally done it. My teacher started a round of applause, and the whole class joined in, clapping loudly for me. I almost couldn't believe that this was real.

The bell rang a minute later, and while everyone else rushed out, I was still firmly attached to my seat in a blissful daze. I worked so hard for this, and now it's mine.