Chapter Eleven

The next morning in school, Grayson found me before first period, and handed me a hot chocolate from Dunkin Donuts with a bashful smile on his face.

"I was wondering if I could talk to you after school today" He said, shyly, "I have a lot of explaining to do"

"Sure" I said, smile slipping on to my face, even though I tried to look serious, "I'd like that"

"Good" He grinned, "I have to make up a math test first though, so can you hang around for like a half hour?"

"Yeah, that's fine" I nodded, "And thanks for the hot chocolate"

"Anything for you, Princess" He winked, voice light and teasing, but his eyes were serious. I couldn't stop myself from blushing as he walked away.

The morning passed by pretty quickly. During lunch, me and Chloe decided to take a trip off campus, rather than sit around where we used to hang out with Josh and Grayson.

We went out to the local pizzeria, and when we came back, Josh and Grayson were sitting on the steps, right next to where we needed to walk to get back inside of the school.

"Serena" Chloe wimpered, looking over at Josh.

"It'll be okay, come on" I soothed grabbing her hand.

We walked up to the stairs, me in front of her.

"Excuse me, gentlemen" I said, smirking.

"Anything for such a pretty lady" Grayson teased, moving out of the way.

I thanked him, and said a quick hello to Josh. He responded to me, but he didn't even glance at Chloe. His expression was very guarded, and I knew Chloe could see it.

Once we were out of their earshot, Chloe turned to me with a dead expression in her usually lively eyes.

"I think it's really over" She said, flatly.

"C'mon Chlo, that's not true" I said, supportively, "You need to give it time"

"He didn't even look at me" Her voice cracked.

"It's going to be okay" I soothed, giving her a big hug.

I couldn't help but think that comforting someone is kind of bullshit. I'm not a psychic, it's just wishful thinking. There's nothing I can do about it, and I hate that. It's so hard to watch someone you love hurting. Especially when you played a factor in that pain.

That afternoon in AP Chem, Grayson was finally talking to me again, and I couldn't stop myself from grinning at him every time he cracked a dumb joke or called me princess. I knew that I should probably still be angry about his recent behavior, but I couldn't stay mad; not with what I overheard.

The bell finally rang, dismissing us from class.

"I'll meet you in the lobby in about a half hour, okay?" Grayson asked.

"Sounds good" I told him.

He shot me a sweet smile, and rushed out of the room. I packed up my bag, and started to head towards the door a minute later.

"Serena!" I heard Brayden call from behind me.

"Yeah?" I said, nonchalantly.

"Wanna go grab that coffee we talked about?" He raised his eyebrows.

"I'm actually staying here for like a half hour, waiting for someone" I told him, "So today doesn't really work"

"Maybe I'll wait with you" He said, following me to the lobby.