Chapter Fourteen

I woke up the next morning to the sound of my alarm clock ringing. I groaned, head pounding and struggled to hit the snooze button.

Then, I remembered I didn't fall asleep alone last night. I was no longer laying on Grayson's chest, so I wondered for a brief second if he had actually left. I lifted my aching head up and saw that he hadn't.

Grayson was sitting on my chair, which he had pulled up right next to my bed, just looking at me wordlessly.

I suddenly felt very self conscious about everything from my hair to my breath to the way I sometimes mutter incoherently in my sleep.

"Did you sleep at all?" I asked him, nonchalantly flattening my hair.

He shook his head reluctantly, and I felt overwhelming guilt rush over me. I made him babysit me, and clearly it fucked with him. He has giant bags under his eyes, and he looks half dead. Hot, but still half dead.

"I'm so sorry, Grayson" I told him, frowning.

"For what?" He asked, seeming genuinely confused.

"I kept you up all night, and it was a school night, and you're exhausted, and it was really unfair of me" I explained, upset.

"Please, don't apologize to me" He said, sounding partly angry and partly exasperated, "Please- just- Serena, I l- I care- you will always be more important to me than school or sleep, and you can count on me to be there for you no matter what"

"But school-" I started.

"Fuck school" He cut me off, smirking a little and making the atmosphere less serious, "It's a beautiful day to have our own little Senior cut day"

"What would I do without you, Gray?" I smiled gratefully.

He smiled back at me, and I knew his lack of sarcastic comment back to me meant he was still thinking about what I had said last night. I knew I should explain myself to him, after all anyone who was willing to hold me while I sobbed all night deserved an explanation, but I wanted to put it off for a little bit longer.

"C'mon, we can go grab some breakfast" Grayson gave me his crooked smile, and I let him pull my hand and lead the way.

He headed towards his car before I stopped him.

"You're not driving, you've had zero hours of sleep" I insisted.

"I've driven like this before!" He argued.

"That's extremely unsafe, Gray!" I told him, appalled, "If you ever need me to give you a ride, you know I would"

"Thanks Princess" He said, sighing and following me to my car.

We went to a local diner, and we both ordered pancakes and chocolate milk. We made casual small talk until we got our food, and then I figured I'd explain myself while he ate.

"So, I owe you an explanation" I started.

Grayson tore his eyes away from his food and looked up at me with a serious gaze.

"No, you don't" He replied.

"Grayson, I dropped a bomb on you!" I insisted, "I sobbed on your chest all night about a dead best friend that you had no clue existed. You must want to know, I know I would"

"I only want you to tell me things because you trust me and feel comfortable telling me, Princess, you don't owe me anything at all" He answered firmly.

"I trust you, Grayson" I told him, honestly, "And I'm going to tell you. I guess it just doesn't feel like the time or place"

"Okay" He said calmly.