Chapter Sixteen

When we got to our hotel, Grayson was still kind of ignoring me. We dropped our bags, and I tried desperately to start conversations with him, but he gave me one word answers and shrugs.

"We can't do this for the next few days, Grayson" I said, getting irritated after he wouldn't give me a straight answer about what he wanted to do. My mom was working all day and wouldn't have a chance to see us until it was actually Thanksgiving.

"What do you mean?" He said, avoiding my eye expertly.

"You can't give me one word answers and avoid me!" I answered, "We're in Paris together. We should be having a good time"

Grayson shrugged at me, and I felt my temper rise.

"Come on Grayson, tell me what I can do to make this right" I sighed.

"Trust me" He answered, finally looking up and staring me straight in the eye.

"I do trust you" I answered sincerely.

"No, you don't" He said cooly, "You avoid every real topic, and you clearly don't tell me anything. So you want to know what you could do to make this right? Be real with me for once"

"About what?" I asked.

"About anything" He said, exasperated.

There was a long moment of silence in which he looked at me expectantly, and I stared back, knowing what he wanted but not feeling like I could give it to him.

"Of course not" He sighed, shaking his head and breaking both our eye contact and the silence.

"Don't act like you're a fucking open book, Grayson Mitchell, everything you've ever told me I had to drag out of you" I snapped, temper flaring once again.

"At least I told you, that's more than you can say" He replied quickly.

"I don't want to fight" I said softly, "We're in Paris, I just want to have a nice trip"

"Just tell me one thing?" He requested calmly.

"Sure" I answered. I owed him that, and a lot more.

"Why didn't you just tell me that you were visiting Brayden's mom?" He asked, "Did you honestly think I wouldn't understand?"

"Of course not" I sighed, "I guess- I don't know. Spending time comforting my ex-boyfriend who humiliated me isn't something I'm proud of. I went there just to see his mom but now he's always there when I go and- I don't know. I'm just not proud of how much time I spend around him lately"

"Okay" Grayson said, nodding slightly, "What do you want to do right now?"

Me and Grayson both laid down on the bed, and ended up taking a nap debating what we should do with our day. I knew Grayson still wasn't really happy with me, but he was trying to move past it to enjoy our little trip, so I ignored it and did my best to act like everything was fine.

By the time we woke up, it was already evening. I shook Grayson awake, knowing that if we didn't get up we'd wake up at 2 am unable to fall back asleep.

"C'mon Gray, we need to get up" I nudged him.

"What time is it?" He asked, rubbing his eyes.

"Here it's already 8 o'clock" I answered.

"Shit" He groaned, "Fucking jetlag" 

"Let's do something fun" I decided, feeling full of energy after our nap.

"Like what?" He asked.

"Let's go out drinking" I suggested.

He agreed, and we decided to grab a quick bite to eat and then hit some bars and clubs around Paris. Since the drinking age in France is only 18, it made our lives a little bit easier.