A Sunny Afternoon With Mummy: Part Two

Louis grumbled quietly to himself while he stepped out of the bath tub. Yes. The bathtub. Despite his attempt at a quick retreat, his mother had ultimately changed her mind and decided that a long soak would be more effective at cleaning her boy. Louis just thanked the heavens that she allowed him to complete this task HIMSELF.

He begrudgingly pulled on some fresh underwear and sweats, and after a moments thought decided he better brush his teeth and apply deodorant as well. He hated doctors appointments. They made him nervous and sweaty. Very sweaty.

At three on the dot, the doorbell rang. Louis groaned, banging his head against the granite countertop by which he sat with his mum. "Oh, there she is, perfect timing!" she chirped, smiling broadly as she got the door, "hi there dear, come on in, let me get that for you".

Louis smiled politely and took her things from his mum, always a proper gentleman despite the less than pleasant circumstances. "Hello dear. Noreen, pleased to meet you. Johannah I noticed your turnips beginning to peek through!" Wow, this woman was just about a clone of his mother.

'Oh boy' Louis thought.

As the two gushed about different plants and fertilizer brands, Louis stood awkwardly in the doorway with her two massive bags. He was beginning to get nervous; how much stuff did she really need for a quick exam? And furthermore, what kind of stuff did she bring?

"Ah, alright then, I suppose it's about time we check this little fella out, what do you say Johannah?" she grinned, completely ignoring Louis' presence and discussing his exam as if he were just a child under his mother's supervision. Much to Louis' chagrin, Noreen thought just as much.

Louis' mum suggested her bedroom, as it was the biggest available and had a lock in case his younger siblings got home earlier than expected. This comforted Louis a bit, as it ensured that his humiliation would at least be confined to these two women's eyes. 

"On such a nice day? Surely we could do it outside in the sun, you've got quite the privacy fence up, shouldn't be an issue should it?" Noreen inquired, flashing Johannah a warm smile and, again, completely leaving her patient out of the conversation.

At this point, however, Louis had to interject. 

"Alright, no way, no, putting a stop to that idea right now." he argued, setting the bags onto the floor, "I am not having a physical on our outdoor patio, sunshine or rain". Johannah gave him quite the look for that comment, finding it rather unacceptable the tone Louis was using with her old friend.

"I think it's a wonderful idea Noreen" his mother began, shooting a stern look over to her son, "Louis could certainly use some more Vitamin D and would certainly love to avoid another spanking I'm sure". At this Louis burned red, mortified that his mother just disclosed such a detail to someone who was a complete stranger in his book.

Noreen gasped, pulling her hand to her mouth in mock shock, "I should certainly think a young lad would rather his exam without a sore bottom, but I suppose you've got to do what you've got to do". Louis grit his teeth in annoyance, glancing over at his mum who was still giving him the same stern look. He could tell from her expression that she was absolutely not joking this time, and decided that if this exam were to happen regardless he would in fact prefer it occur without his bottom being sore, as Noreen had so graciously put it.

With a deep sigh, Louis picked up her bags again and made his way to the patio door, opening it for the two gentle but old fashioned ladies; "After you" he mumbled. Noreen smiled and made her way into the sunshine, sighing contentedly. Louis could tell the woman meant well, she was just so embarrassingly blind to the fact that he was a grown man and not an eight year old boy, just as his mother often was. These two made a great pair, really, just not in this particular circumstance.