The boyfriend and the son

BETTY
I look up at my visibly uncomfortable mother. She is just about to tell me something, that would affect my future life drastically.
"Elizabeth," Mom says finally. "Please don't judge me, but I recently found someone, that I care about..."
My eyes widen. "You mean like, a... boyfriend?" I swallow as the words leave my throat. I see her nod slightly.
My dad didn't pass away, he is still alive, just in jail. He used to be a brutal serial killer, the so-called Black Hood.
One year ago, they caught him and he was sentenced to life imprisonment. My mom broke down, she really suffered from my fathers sins, so I should be happy, that she finally found someone to make her happy. But I'm not.
"Mom..." I begin, but I don't get to say anything more.
"No, Elizabeth, I understand if you don't support my relationship, but I'm asking for your blessing anyways." My mother says. I recognize her teary eyes, I have to show mercy.
"No, mom, it's alright.." I say. "You- you can get my blessing, it's fine."
I look up at her and slightly smile. I watch a salty tear escaping my mothers eye as she smiles at me. I live for these moments, in which my mother is happy.
"Uh, what's his name?" I ask unsurely.
"FP Jones," she says proudly. I raise one eyebrow. "FP?" I ask unconvinced. "What does that stand for?"
I hear the shivering laughter of my mother hitching in her throat. "Forsythe Pendelton Jones the Second.."
I glare at her for a second until I start laughing with her. "Yeah, I'd call myself FP too, if I was him."
"Thank you so much, Elizabeth," mom says seriously. "For accepting my relationship. I... I wanted to ask you, well, I wanted to tell you, that I have invited him and his son for dinner tonight.."
I suddenly stop smirking. "He has a son?"
"Yes, honey, he is in your age."
I sigh and roll my eyes. "Even better.." I say ironically. "Mom, does this mysterious son have a name? Maybe I heard of him at school.."
"Well, as you might guess, he is the Third Forsythe, but he calls himself "Jughead Jones""
My eyes widen again and my slight smile fades. "Jughead Jones, you say? Oh, god..."
"What?" Mom says confused. "Do you know him?"
"Uh.. I just heard of him, he seems to be like that outsider kid, you know? Well, I mean, he used to be like that in middle school."
I see mom nod slightly. "Anyways," she says. "They will me here at eight, so be ready."

I leave the house twenty minutes later, on my way to school.
I enter the building and I directly get jumped by my best girl friend, Veronica Lodge. "Oh, my god, B! It feels like I haven't seen you in forever!" She screams at me.
I hug her laughing. "V, it's been literally one weekend." I say.
"Yeah, I know, but so much happened in the last two days!" V squeals at me.
"Go ahead, tell me," I say as we start walking toward out lockers.
"Okay, so, I went on this super exclusive party, unfortunately without you- your mom is literally a teenager hating devil- and guess what! I ended up flirting with Reggie Mantle!" She explains quickly.
"Omg, V! Reggie Mantle?! You mean the captain of the varsity football team?!"
"Yes!! Anyways, we both weren't really drunk, so he gave me ride home and when I was about to leave, he pulled me back and he kissed me! About ten seconds later, he asked me out on a date, today at Pop's! OMFG B, I never was this happy in my entire life!!"
"OMG V!! I'm so happy for you!! This will be just great! I see it coming, the new power couple of Riverdale High- Veggie!"
We keep laughing and joking while we walk toward our first class.

Break.
Me, Veronica, Kevin and Archie are sitting in the student lounge, chatting about our weekends.
My mom forced me to stay home and do my homework all weekend long, so I don't have anything to add to this conversation. Unless...
"Guys." I say and everyone looks at me. "My lovely mother just told me life-changing news this morning..."
"What is it, Betty?" Kevin, the best gay best friend that ever existed, says concerned.
I sigh. "My mom has a boyfriend."
"Oh, god, B..." V says.
"Maybe he isn't so bad.." Archie says slowly. I glare at him.
"Hey, maybe he has a hot son or something?"
I groan. "He does have a son in our age... we actually know him.."
"Spit it out, B, maybe he is hot!"
"No, no, V! He is Jughead Jones." I say devastated.
"OMG! As in the outsider from middle school?!" Kevin says smirking.
I train my eyes on my shoes and nod.
"B, you probably don't want to hear it, but I heard, he did get hot. He is a south side serpent now." Veronica says softly.
"How does this fix anything?" I sigh.
"I think, you should talk to him. Maybe you can become friends.." Archie says friendly. I slightly smile at him.
"Maybe you're right... I'll look for him.."

Lunch break.
I have discovered Jughead Jones in the cafeteria, sitting alone, as always.
I decide to walk over to him, my tablet of food in my hands.
I place the tablet on the table and sit down in the opposite of the table.
He looks up to me. "Cooper." He says.
"Jones." I reply. "I'm assuming you heard?"
He keeps glaring at me and I stay calm. "If you mean our parents, yes, I did." He says calmly.
"Great." I say ironically.
"See, I don't appreciate this either, but I want be father to be happy. He hasn't been in a long time.." Jughead says.
"Me too. I believe, you can guess, what caused my mothers depression, it was all over the news." I respond coldly.
I see him nod and look down.
He actually doesn't look that bad. I mean, honestly, he is kind of cute, with the dark curls falling in his face, partly covered with lhis gray beanie and the impressive blue eyes...
Let's say, puberty hit him hard...
"Okay," I say slowly. "I guess, I'll see you tonight.. this is getting awkward."
I stand up and see him nod one last time, before I grab my tablet and walk toward the table of my friends.
That was the weirdest conversation, I ever had.

It's finally evening.
The Joneses would arrive every minute.
I don't know why, but I'm scared.
Why the hell am I scared?
I'm not dressed up, it's just a dinner, mom isn't either and she told FP to dress casually too.
The doorbell rings. I already am in the living room, so I start heading to the door.
I pull the door open and I see a tall man with a friendly smile on his lips standing in front of me. I slightly smile back.
He has dark brown hair and big dark eyes. He seems nice.
"Hello." He says nicely. "You must be Elizabeth."
"Betty," I say quickly. "Please call me Betty. It's nice to finally meet you."
I shake his hand after I let him inside. Jughead is following him, but I don't really pay much attention to him, right now.
I decided to mostly ignore him tonight.
I sloppily glare at him for a second. He is wearing his serpent Jacket and again the beanie.

Ten minutes later.
We're all sitting at the dinner table, my mom has already served the meal.
No one has the courage to break the silence for a few minutes. We just eat.
I look up for a second and my eyes meet Jugheads.
Has he been staring at me?
I quickly look down again, continuing cutting the meat in pieces.
This is literally the most awkward experience in my life. I've never felt like this before. Like I don't belong here.
"So.." my mom suddenly says. We all look at her. "I think we should try to break the ice."
Not a bad idea, but how would she get us to talk like lifetime friends?
"Yeah.. good idea, Alice." I hear FP say.
I haven't heard someone calling her Alice in a long time. She usually doesn't interact with many people, that don't call her Mrs. Cooper or mom.
"Fine." Jughead says. "Anything you want to talk about?"
I'm sure, he doesn't mean to sound rude, but he kind of does, though.
Mom sighs. "So.. you two know each other?" She asks pointing at me and Jughead.
"Not really." I say.
"Yeah, I actually didn't even know how she looked like." Jughead says and I nod, symbolizing that I didn't know his looks either.
"Okay.." mom says.
"How did you two even meet?" I ask and look at mom and FP.
"We.. we actually know each other since Highschool." FP says and my eyes widen.
"Were you... like ..together.. back then?" I ask unsurely.
Jughead first looks at me, then at his father and my mother. He obviously wants to know the answer too.
Mom and FP quietly chuckle.
"We actually did date for a few months, but fate divided us." Mom says nicely.
"So you're like this whole after-decades-finally-together-again-thing?" Jughead asks frowning.
FP chuckles again. "Yeah, kind of.."
"Wow." I say. "That's kind of.. romantic. I didn't expect this."
"Me neither." Jughead agrees.
The rest of the evening went well, we talked about Highschool and how mom and FP met.

The next day, afternoon.
I have invited V over, she'd be here in five minutes. I'm sitting in my pink room, on my bed, as my phone buzzes.
I pick it up and see, that I got a text message, but not from one of my friends. The message is from Jughead Jones.

Hey!
So, I started another Bughead Fanfiction. I'm honestly really sxcited about this one! I hope you are too.
xx