08 : COMMENCE.

There was something wrong with Kuroo

Not that it connotes anything negative but whenever Yukimi was talking to him, he acted as if he was never listening in the first place. His smiles were always forced when they were being directed to her. There was also a time when she happened to stand beside him during one of the practice matches' time-out and the tall lad immediately walked away from her to place himself beside Kai ( who looked perplexed at the captain's behavior because the normal Kuroo would relish the proximity with Yukimi ). He seemed to be just fine yesterday but his mood swing probably started before dinner because by then, he was showing her the cold shoulder. Although she felt bothered by it, Yukimi chose to let it slide, thinking that it could be the nerves brought by their practice match with Karasuno the next day.

Everything was fine until Kuroo went inside the kitchen while Yukimi was cooking and the next few words he uttered made the girl stop.

"Do you still like Kagami?"

He said it so casually that Yukimi swore he waved away her awkward mannerisms. Because who wouldn't fidget when the story seemed to affect her more than she expected.

The story goes this way.

— Once upon a time, a girl of smiles and a boy of golden rays met and became immediate friends. They were exposed to a new environment so different than their previous one for they were used to viewing the mountaintops and the lush forests of their hometown. They were introduced to the city so drastically that they had no choice but to stick to each other. The boy spent every single moment with the girl; he would turn to her every vacant hour and ask her if she could teach him how to draw ( of course, the girl never turned him down ) and his close proximity with her would always make her heart beat so fast.

One afternoon, while the sun was ready to welcome the night, the girl had thoughts plaguing her head that urged her to scream. The boy, who seemed to care a lot about her, walked with unsure steps and stopped in front of her. "Do you want to get out of here?" was what he uttered. The girl could feel the warmth bubbling in her stomach, melting away the butterflies' cage that she secured before moving away from her hometown. That was probably the moment the girl realized that she liked the boy more than a friend. They enjoyed the mellow glow of the sunset as they talked about constellations, music, interests, and each other. It was such an amazing sight.

Until the girl was left alone and the afternoons of ice cream and laughter faded away instantly when the boy turned his back on her, very much like the people who knew her when she was younger. However, her lonely days cleared when the boy told her he liked her — that she wasn't like any girl who fell for the class' most popular boy ( like that's any indication of liking someone ). The girl was ecstatic when she heard the confession but everything went down the drain when he told her that he chose to forget what he feels for her, that he regrets ever falling in love with her. That sent the girl into a spiral of doubting herself and yet the girl never stopped pining over the boy, making herself look like an idiot for chasing after him after neglecting her feelings.