09 : THE BATTLE OF THE TRASH HEAP.

What was that?

What was that?

Yukimi's grip on the notebook loosened when the orange-haired boy Kenma befriended ran in utmost speed in the very first rally and spiked the ball to Nekoma's court with his eyes closed. So far, she had never seen something so reckless and so terrific at the same time. She turned to Nekomata who had his jaw dropped. "What the heck was that, Coach?" she tried asking the older coach.

Nekomata only shook his head in response, his face still contorted in shock. "I don't even know, Yukimi," he replied. "He wasn't even looking at the toss!"

Turning back to court, the members of the Nekoma team seemed to be astonished as well, with Inuoka exclaiming how fast that quick attack was and Yaku murmuring behind the tall first-year how could the opponent team manage such a fast attack in that position. Though surprised as well, Kenma maintained his stoic and blank face as he intently looked at Hinata, his eyes never flinching when the ginger-haired boy expressed his joy at the second-year's compliment — he continued analyzing the shorter player as they celebrated their first point.

Kuroo continued shouting at his teammates to pay no mind at the lost point while patting some of his friends on the back. However, the captain's eyes would occasionally glance at Yukimi's direction and the two would wave at each other when their gazes meet. Feeling the butterflies in his stomach, Kuroo's grin was noticed by Yaku, who only rose an eyebrow in question. The captain tried grinning mockingly at the libero to hide his dreamy expression. "What?"

Yaku's shook his head with a grin as he stared at Yukimi and back to Kuroo. "I think it's time for you to make a move, Kuroo," he told the tall lad. "You have my blessings!"

"Who are you? Her dad?!" Kuroo shouted at him with a jeer.

"Kuroo! Yaku! Focus!"

The next rally was started with Tanaka's serve which executed a perfect arc, however, it was received flawlessly by Fukunaga, who returned it to Kenma with a bounce on his step. The setter glanced at his teammates for a second and tossed to their ace, Taketora, who shouted rather colorfully as he spiked the ball right at the Karasuno's blockers. With the ball moving at a straight course, Karasuno's libero, Nishinoya, received it with steady feet, passing the volleyball to Kageyama. Everybody was on edge as the first-year setter positioned himself right in the middle of Azumane Asahi and Hinata. Right when Inouka and Taketora jumped to block the small middle blocker, the orange team's ace made an opening, spiking the ball right in a barren part of the court. Yukimi's eyes slowly widen when Yaku tried saving the ball by stretching his arm to the right.

Nekomata noticed the girl's shocked expression, making the old coach smile fondly as Yukimi's eyes sparkled at the match. He laughed and crossed his arms over his chest. "Our libero's pretty incredible, right, Yukimi?" he said. "Though Karasuno have such promising players as well and the fact that they shouldn't have been able to return the ball just now, we couldn't do such a thing to stop it. Is their spiker even a high-schooler? He looks like an adult!"