Chapter 17 : Family Dinner

Karenina's POV 

After a few months Carla has been asking for me to stay for dinner , and I decided to just give her a break and agree to it . "Let me call my parents first" , I pull out my phone from my pocket and she just smile and put her hands together , "splendid !" . I dial my mother's number , and as she picked up the phone . "Hello , mum . I'm gonna stay here for dinner and I'll walk back , so I'll see you later at home kay ?" , " honey , that's sweet of you . You finally giving Carla a chance to be your mother , be nice and behave okay ? Love you" , "love you too mum" . I put my phone back in my pocket and Carla did wait for 16 years to be reunited with her daughter , so I feel for her . "Dearest Karenina , what are you doing standing there ? Come here and take a seat !" , she calls out . I walk into the dining room and Lionel is already in his seat , " it's nice of you to join us tonight , your mother has been cooking a feast every night hoping you would agree to this" , I just smile and nod my head listening to Lionel's remark . I hear footsteps towards the door and Carla shouts again , "Jeremy ! Have dinner with us , Karenina is joining us tonight ? Isn't that wonderful" , Jerrie just takes a look at me and smile , "I do not want to impose Carla , this is a family dinner" , he speaks so politely and that's nice of him and all of the sudden I feel a slight blush in my cheeks . Lionel motion his hands to come in , " do not be silly Jeremy ! The more the merrier", "no , Lionel . It's okay , I'm going to order some takeout anyway" , "Jeremy !" , Lionel insists . Jerrie straight on pull a chair beside me and sit down , "sorry to intrude" , he whispers to me . "don't be silly Jeremy , the more the merrier" , I whisper back and mimicking Lionel's words . He let out a small chuckle and Carla brings out this huge meatloaf and it looks delicious ! "Bon appetit ma cheries" , she says . I cut out a sorta big part of the meatloaf and put it in my plate . There's even mash potatoes , this is certainly a feast and I'm enjoying myself . It doesn't feel awkward at all , maybe I have Jerrie by my side but this really feels like..home.

" You have been improving the control of your magic , Karenina" , Lionel says before putting the steamed brocolli into his mouth . "Thanks , Lionel" , I respond . "She has been practicing so hard , darling ! You should see how she squints her eye when she's focusing , it's so adorable" , Carla is such full of love and I can't help but too giggle . I have been working on my magic , I do not want to waste this gift I have irrespective of how I get it and come on , I even out-magic Jerrie , I should get an award for kicking his butt and burning his pants . Lionel looks at Jerrie , " do you have any plans for next Saturday , Jeremy ?" , Jeremy bit his lip and respond , "not that I can think of , Lionel . You want some help with the backyard ? Oh ! You want me to come in for extra practice sessions ?" , Lionel chuckle , "No son , the annual Young Gathering is next Saturday and I am hoping you can join them and make some friends" , I didn't know about this , am I not invited or something ? Jerrie shook his head , " they do not want to be friends with me , I'm an outsider , remember ?" . Carla cuts him off , " they don't know you well enough , Jeremy dear . You're young ! Go and have fun ! Even Karenina is going" , she points her hand to me . My eyes widen , " I am really not aware of this , this is my first time listening about this gathering ?" , Carla opens her mouth and hit his husband on his arm , "you didn't tell her about it ? I thought you are going to" , Lionel rubs his arm , " My love , isn't this something more of a mother talks to her daughters ?" , now that is such an adorable scene . Carla gives him a sharp look , " you always know what to say , don't you ?" and Lionel kisses his wife on his cheek . "Anyway dearest , you should go because you get to know the other young witches and warlocks and just have fun !" , Carla says and Lionel cuts him off and looks me right in the eyes , "you need to know who are your comrades , they can strengthen your position as the head of coven . Show them you care" . "It's a dance , Lionel darling ! Just dance !" , Carla throws her hands up in the air . I finally speaks , "I can be there , but umm , do I get to bring Neil ?" , "does he know what you are dearest ?" , Carla asks and I shook my head so there you go , I'm gonna be there alone . " If you are being serious with this guy , you should talk to him and make sure he doesn't go and tell to people . It's crucial that we stay hidden , understand ?" , Lionel says . "I can go with Karenina , if that is okay with you though ?" , Jeremy voices out and turns to me . " That sounds great ,  I mean , both of us are merely newbies so I think we can be awkward together" , I say and Carla claps her hand , "terrific ! Later , we are going to buy dress and I'll help you get ready !" . I was kinda surprised that she says that cause she's just going too fast so I just grin . 

After dinner , I excuse myself to head home . I gave a hug to Carla and Lionel just kisses my head , there's still some awkwardness between Lionel and I but I know he's trying and so am I . "Let me walk you home" , Jeremy suggests as he put on his jacket . " Oh it's okay , Jerrie . I'm capable of walking home by myself" , he throws me look saying you have no choice , Tater tots . We walk out of the door and started walking . The night air is so soothing , and I look up seeing not many stars and I was dissapointed cause I like stars . "So , I'm your date to the dance , Tater Tots" , he says and give me a smouldering look . I push his face away , " only to the dance , and we are going because we'll going to be the ones that doesn't know everybody there" . "So we'll be the awkward couple then" , he says . How annoying can he be ? But I seem to have no problem with that , so I just smile at him . " Don't get too carried away though , I'm still with Neil" , "Oh come on Tater Tots ! You gotta admit that I'm way better than him . Plus , I have a bad feeling about him" , he adds . I laugh so loud , and I never laugh like that with Neil before , "Jerrie , let's pull that ego back a bit and Neil is fine , he might be normal but doesn't mean he's bad" . Jerrie punches my shoulder softly , "just becareful , I do not want you to get hurt" . I take this oppurtunity and make puppy eyes , "Awwwww ! You worry about me Jerrie , how shweeetttt" , he immediately make his famous pouty lips , "you're nothing without me , Tater Tots" . We say our goodbyes when we reach my home  , and I can't just stop smiling and start to wonder whether the girls are right , do I have teeny weeny crush on Jerrie ? Then I got a text from Neil , " wanna go to the movies tomorrow ? :)" . I snap out of the idea of me being with Jerrie , what I have now with Neil is as special as being with Jerrie . Jerrie is my friend , a good friend indeed , with a set of beautiful eyes and biceps , I can laugh loudly till the whole world can hear with him and Neil is such a sweet boyfriend and I care about him . I text back , "Fo sho boyfriend :)"