Chapter 3 ~ Later That Night

Pure Hope ~ Chapter 3 ~ Later That Night

Recap: "Yeah. You're like a rose...before it's all beautiful & all," he smirked. I smacked him on the shoulder while Rose kicked him in the shin. "Ow! What was that for?"

"Just how rude are you?" Rose said, rolling her eyes.

"Enough." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bliss's P.O.V.

"I don't know if I should go out searching again," I told Vikki. It was late at night. Ambition had been in his room for a few hours now & Hope went to bed awhile ago. I couldn't stop stressing. "I mean, with Ambition & Hope, I don't think I should keep leaving them for little pointless trips."

"Bliss Collins, do you really believe that?" Vikki demanded. "Do you really think that each time you go searching for my brother is pointless? I know you don't because if you did believe that you're never going to find him, you wouldn't keep trying."

Running my hands through my hair, I sighed, not wanting to look at her. Vikki always thought I would find Dylan. She never ever doubted. She put so much faith in me & I loved her for that. Vikki was basically the only true friend I had. But there's only so much I can do & it kills me that I haven't found him yet. Twenty three years of searching, of trying, of hoping. I was starting to believe that I would never find him, that I couldn't find him. It seemed impossible. But looking into Vikki's eyes & seeing how much hope she had, I knew I couldn't give up even if it killed me. "You're right," I whispered. "It's not pointless but..." I couldn't finish my sentence.

"Please don't cry, okay?" she told me. I hadn't even realized that my face was wet with tears until she said that. My hands went up to wipe them away. I had to be strong. There wasn't time to cry. It was pointless to cry.

It was quiet for minutes. The silence left me an uneasy feeling. I didn't like silence & the dark. Ever since my teenage years, I couldn't stand the dark. Silence added to the dark only made it more scary.

"Do you think he's...even..." I swallowed, my throat suddenly feeling heavy.

"Alive?" she breathed, guessing my unspoken question. Nodding slowly, I fought the urge to shiver. "We don't have a way of knowing. All we have is hope for that matter," she whispered.

"What about Adam?" I said louder than I'd wanted.

"All we have is hope," she repeated.

Hope's P.O.V.

I couldn't see. Darkness swallowed me & there was no light.

I was holding three things in my hands. One single match, a candle, & a knife of some sort. I looked down to my hands, trying to see the outline of the candle, but couldn't. It was like I was blind. I had no idea where I was & how I got there. I felt lost & cold & scared. I wanted to see more then anything. But wait, there was a way to see.

Clutching the candle in my left hand, I swiped the match across it. The match lit up in flame. My sight was back! Slowly, I lit the candle. To my frustration, the small light on the candle was the only thing I could see. I sighed in frustration & turned around.

A high-pitched scream escaped my mouth when I saw the figure now in front of me. The candlelight illuminated only half of his face. He was snarling. His eyebrows were scrunched together. He was showing all of his teeth including two very sharp fangs. I was staring openmouthed in horror at an angry vampire.