Chapter 1 ~ Eavesdropping

Pure Hope ~ Chapter 1 ~ Eavesdropping

Recap: So goodbye my diary which I will probably never write in again because what's the point? Nothing ever happens in Meadow Valley anyway...

~Hope

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope's P.O.V.

I ran my hands through his black hair, wishing we could stay that way forever, dreading the moment I had to let go. I was relaxed. I was safe in his arms. Tilting my head slightly, I inhaled my favorite scent in the world. The beautiful clean smell of Skyler. It was intoxicating. I literally felt drugged by his presence.

Someone cleared their throat near by. I had to force myself to break apart from Skyler. "Honestly Hope, it's not a pretty sight to walk in on a make out session between you & Skyler," a very familiar voice said.

"Honestly Rose, it's essential to knock before entering someone's house mysteriously," I said, grinning widely.

"Okay, all honestly aside, it's great to see you Rose," Skyler smirked, clearly joking, but that didn't stop Rose from glaring. I knew Rose well. We'd been friends for as long as I could remember. Even though she'd never told me, I knew she didn't like my boyfriend, Skyler. Never had, probably never will. They just didn't get along.

"I just came over to say hi. Oh, by the way your mom is home," Rose added before my mother joined the party.

Skyler & I sprang apart, leaving a good sized distance between us on the couch. "Hope, it's good to see you!" Mom said, running over to me to give me a hug. I wrapped my arms around her for a quick hug. She looked at me, a concerned look on her face. "How have you been? Is Ambition here? Where's Vikki? Oh, & what about-"

"Everything is fine, mom," I informed her. "Ambition isn't home yet. He's at a friend's house. & Aunt Vikki is at the grocery store."

Mom nodded, satisfied that nothing had gone wrong in the two days she was gone. Mom was an artist, which meant lots & lots of art galleries to go to. Galleries that sometimes were far away. I studied her, hoping she didn't look too stressed or exhausted. After a long gallery trip, mom was close to always tired. Her long brunette hair was pulled back into a loose bun. Only a few grey hairs were visible. She smiled, but her ice blue eyes held a little sadness. The bags under her eyes told me that she was tired. Not just tired but almost falling to the ground tired. I frowned. "How much sleep have you been having," I wondered.

She bit her lower lip. "Not much, but enough. Once Vikki gets back I'll cook dinner for all of us. Ambition will hopefully be here-" she broke off suddenly, maybe just noticing company with us in the living room. "Skyler, Rose... I'm sorry I haven't said anything to you yet. Will you two be joining us for dinner?" she asked, smiling her coaxing smile to my friends.

Skyler didn't hesitate. "Sure, Ms. C. Sounds cool."

"You don't have to call me that if you don't want to. Bliss is-" she frowned, shaking her head. "I'm sounding more like my mother than I'd ever wanted," she laughed. Her eyes went to Rose. "Will you stay too, Rose?"

Rose's eyes narrowed to Skyler for a few seconds. Then to me. I laughed to myself. She was debating if she should stay to see me or leave because she wanted to be away from Skyler. Choices, choices. "Of course I'll stay. Thank you," she finally said. Looks like I was more important than her dislike for my boyfriend.

My aunt entered the living room at that moment. Aunt Vikki wasn't really my aunt. I'd just always called her that. She was like an aunt to me. Aunt Vikki was my mom's best friend & was kind enough to watch over Ambition & I when mom had to go to any art galleries. She had long, curly dirty blonde hair & curious brown eyes. She was also very young compared to my mom. I mean, mom wasn't old, only forty one. Aunt Vikki recently turned twenty nine. I had no idea where they met, it had never occurred to me to ask. They had a twelve year difference in age, so how would they have met? Aunt Vikki wasn't an artist, she was a writer. & a very good writer at that.

"Bliss?" Aunt Vikki's eyes widened. "I thought you'd be back tomorrow," she stated, eyes filled with curiosity.

Mom's face fell slightly. "It was a quicker trip than I thought it would be." Her words held double meaning. "Can you help me make dinner for everyone, Vikki? Rose & Skyler are both joining us," she smiled. Vikki nodded & they traveled to the kitchen with the grocery bags.

My eyes met Rose's eyes. I mouthed the word, 'sorry' & said, "I'm going to go check on something. You two can stay & chat." I stifled a laugh when I saw Rose's horrified face. Smiling back, I quickly kissed Skyler on the cheek & headed to the kitchen.

I didn't actually go into the kitchen though. That would have blown my cover. I knew eavesdropping was wrong, but I really wanted to know what was up with mom & Aunt Vikki's unspoken conversation just now. Their voices were hushed, but I could still understand their words.

"...out of places to look. I may as well just give up again." That was my mom's distressed voice. "Who knows what happened to both of them. For all I know, he could've gotten rid of Dylan. Why should I believe he'd keep his promise? & if that promise was kept, is that what Dylan would've wanted now? Do you think he's still being-"

"Stop, Bliss. You can't keep telling yourself these things. You don't know what all happened." & that was Aunt Vikki. This conversation was creeping me out. Mom had sounded like she wanted to cry. & there was so much disgust in her voice when she said 'he.' It made me want to find out who this person was that had upset my mother so much. & who was Dylan? What promise? What was my mom talking about? Had she gone crazy without me knowing? But Aunt Vikki knew exactly what mom was talking about. My head was spinning with questions. Questions I didn't know how to ask my mom. Questions I feared I would never know the answers to on my own if I didn't do something.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mwahahaha! I'm loving how this is turning out so far! How do you like the story so far?! PLEASE, feel free to tell me :)

.......Comment.....Vote......if you love it! ;)

~Mebby88