Chapter 21 ~ Still Falling

Pure Hope ~ Chapter 21 ~ Still Falling

Recap: (Raeann’s P.O.V.) The Hunter was all to willing to torture people to get what he wanted. “Hope Collins?” I finally was able to say. “W-why her? Do you mean…Bliss’s daughter?”

“Yes,” he said completely serious. “She will become a Night Slayer one way or another.”

(Bliss’s P.O.V.) The Hunter slowly grinned, standing up from his chair. “Now Bliss, you might not want to kill your own father.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bliss’s P.O.V.

I couldn’t blink, my fingers frozen on the trigger of the gun. I opened my mouth but then closed it, not sure what to say, what to believe.

The Hunter smirked. “Only a few know this about me, the name that was given to me at birth. It was Harrison Collins,” he said, standing up from his chair. To my amazement, he started walking to me. The gun in my hand was still aimed at his heart, but that didn’t seem to concern him. The closer he got to me, the more I became afraid- terrified & I wasn’t even sure why I was. I mean, I was the one with the freaking gun & I felt scared?

“Harmony was a breathtakingly beautiful woman,” he said, making me glare as he talked about my mom. “You look just like her, only you have my eyes.”

I flinched because he was right. The more I looked at him, the more I saw our similarities. We both had the same color of eyes- ice blue. Our eyebrows were thin & we both had dark brown hair. I couldn’t deny that he was my dad because the evidence was in front of my face. Sure, I would have liked it if my mom confirmed it, but I already knew. There was a strong feeling that told me that the man in front of me, the man that I’d known to fear, a man that was evil, was my father.

But I didn’t lower the gun. “I don’t believe you,” I lied in a strong & confident voice that surprised me.

“I think you do,” he said matter-of-factly.

That was when I should have pulled the trigger. That was when I was probably expected to pull the trigger. But I needed to know…

“Can you change a vampire back into a human?” I demanded, my voice a little shaky. “If you don’t tell the truth, I’ll shoot you.”

My question seemed to take him off guard, he obviously wasn’t expecting it. His eyebrows furrowed for only a second. “That’s impossible, my daughter. Once you’re dead, even undead, you’re dead.”

“That’s a lie!” I shouted. “I know about The Hunger!” Matt was proof of that, but I wasn’t going to mention him.

“How-”

I shot him, interrupting him. The Hunter groaned in pain, his face twisting.

That was when time seemed to blur & everything happened so fast.

It should have killed him, the bullet had plunged into his chest, into his heart. His dark blue shirt should have been soaked with his blood as he sunk to the ground. I should have been fatherless.

An impossibly bright gold glow erupted from his chest. I fell backwards from the intensity of the force of light. At first, I’d thought that my eyes were tricking me, but light was really pouring from his injury.

Eric Crow made his move, dashing forward with speed I didn’t know he had. The blinding light from the Hunter abruptly vanished & I could see that Eric had his long blade above his head, the tip of the blade aimed at me. He was closer than at first I’d thought, the sharp point lowering to my face. I squeezed my eyes shut, sure that I was going to die.