Chapter 2 ~ Dinner With A Side Of Drama

Pure Hope ~ Chapter 2 ~ Dinner With A Side Of Drama

Recap: My head was spinning with questions. Questions I didn't know how to ask my mom. Questions I feared I would never know the answers to on my own if I didn't do something.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope's P.O.V.

I was in between Rose & Skyler. Aunt Vikki & mom were sitting next to each other across from Skyler & me. We were all sitting at the dinner table, eating salad & homemade soup in an awkward silence.

I took a drink of my glass of water. Rose's eyes wouldn't leave her soup. Skyler was eating so fast, I was surprised he could swallow. Aunt Vikki opened her mouth, about to say something, but instead shoved a forkful of salad in her mouth. Mom glanced at me. "Did Ambition say when he'd be home?"

"He didn't say. He only said he'd be at Anthony's house, studying," Aunt Vikki said. I smirked, looking down at my salad. I knew for a fact that Ambition wasn't studying.

Ambition's P.O.V.

"Want a drag?" she asked, offering me her cigarette. She was Maya. She was also my ex girlfriend. Maya had long green hair with side bangs that almost covered her left eye. She had dark green eyes that were sometimes mistaken for brown. A single silver lip ring pierced just above her upper lip on the right side. She was sixteen.

Maya Storm smoked, drank alcohol, partied every weekend, got bad grades, & encouraged me to do the same. This was why my mom didn't approve of her. I didn't know why mom always had such an issue with her. I mean, did she actually think that Maya could tell me what to do? I made my own choices, I was a big boy. No one had to hold my hand. But still, mom didn't like that we were dating. She didn't like that I was growing up. You could imagine her enthusiasm when I told her we had broken up.

I had been the one to end it. Not because of my mom's dislike of her. I broke up with Maya because she was a liar. She was a cheater. So, why were we both sitting on the hood of her car, talking like everything was okay between us? That was a question I had no idea how to answer.

"No, I'll stick with the beer," I told her with my eyes narrowed. Before tonight I'd never actually had a drink of beer. I'd never smoked a day in my life. So why now? What's the point? I looked at the half empty beer bottle in my hand & thought of an answer. There wasn't a point, that's why. It didn't matter if I drank or didn't. My mom wouldn't know, she was gone most of the time anyway. My sister, Hope, wouldn't ever know if I hid it. & what could she do anyway? Nothing. I smirked, pleased with myself. I had just made a decision on my own. & no one would stop me.

"I was surprised that you even showed up at the party. I thought you didn't want to even see me again," she said after a moment of silence.

That's what I thought too. I just shrugged without saying anything. Quite honestly I didn't know what to say. I didn't know why I'd said yes to Maya's party invitation in the first place. I think it was because I wanted to see her, despite my earlier words. Just because she cheated on me, doesn't change the fact that she's good company to talk to.

"So does this mean we're together again, Am?" she asked. Am. Oh my god, I hated it when she called me Am. I scowled at her. She raised her eyebrows. I tried to say something- anything, but my words somewhat slurred together. "Shh," Maya put her finger to my lips. "You seem a bit drunk, maybe you shouldn't talk."

Before I knew what was happening, Maya's lips met mine. I didn't stop it because it took awhile for me to realize what was happening. But before I could stop the kiss, Maya pulled away. She was grinning, but not in the way you'd think she's be grinning. It was kind of a harsh smile. She wasn't even looking at me. My gaze traveled to where Maya was looking. That's when I knew. Why Maya had even talked to me tonight was to kiss me. & I knew according to Maya's plan, that kiss had to have a certain person in the audience watching.