Chapter 17

Chapter 17

This is a short chapter, I know. This is because after this, the story will go faster. I needed this short chapter in between to tie up the ends at Sea. Because, I'm really tired of them spending time on a ship, it gives me little to work with haha. Time for some action on the land, right? That and some Salsa and Rhum maybe in sunny Havana? ;) (sorry, it won't be like this, don't get your dancing shoes out just yet....) 

Dickon's Ship – Route to Cuba

Declan finished his story an hour later. Tala was playing on Dickon's blanket that the Captain had laid down on the floor for the little one while Liz ate in silence. It wasn't so much eating as playing around with her fork in her plate. Listening to the story of Declan who sat next to her, his hand rested on one of her legs.

Her brother listened intently while he ate his eggs, still runny and half cooked, Liz noticed. Just like he was young. Even the way he cut his bread and took large bites of it, made her involuntarily smile.

"That's settled then," Dickon spoke suddenly, stood up with a loud thud of his chair, "we're going to Cuba to get your son."

Liz dropped her fork and stared at him.

"What? You know you'd betray the Crown?"

"I'm a Pirate, sister, I already betray the Crown. Besides, everything that would piss Fisker off, I'm in."

She shook her head confused, making Declan lean back and let the siblings have their little quarrel.

"What about your wife and children, Dickon," Liz countered, leaning both her hands on the table.

"They're fine, Elizabeth. It was an arranged marriage. My wife can handle herself. And my children can easily miss their father a few months."

"Does father now what you do?"

"He things I'm a captain on a ship that makes sure spices get from the south to England."

She waved her hands in unbelief, but Declan took her hand gently.

"Your brother wants to help," he said. "Maybe we should let him."

Elizabeth locked eyes with Harp, saw the hint of desperation in them and turned to look at Tala for a few seconds

Elizabeth locked eyes with Harp, saw the hint of desperation in them and turned to look at Tala for a few seconds. This was about his son. The boy he thought death and for the first time since they met, Liz knew the full emotional turmoil that must rage inside of Declan. She couldn't imagine if this happened to Tala. She was sure she wouldn't survive it if something would happen to her sweet little girl.

Her gaze flickered from her daughter to Declan slowly and nodded.

"I'll say it again," she smiled faintly, "we'll get your son back."

Elizabeth turned to her brother.

"I trust you," she said with a warning in her voice. "You were the only one I ever trusted and I trust you enough now that you will get us safe to Cuba."

Dickon was clearly happy and relieved by her reply. He nodded once.

"I promise that your husband and you will be safe here on the ship. Just like your crew."

He walked towards the door and out of his chamber while Liz looked at Declan in shock.

"Husband?" Liz said laughing. "Where did he get the idea we're married?"

Declan shrugged and swiftly looked away while he cleared his throat.

"I have no idea," he said matter-off-factly and cursed in his head that he was the one that had said Elizabeth was his wife when the Pirates entered their ship. "Let's get the crew and tell them what's going on. Maybe your brother can use some extra help. Else, McTaggart will no doubt be drunk most of the time."

Elizabeth laughed loud, a sincere and happy sound that made Declan's lips curl up in a smile He picked up a playing Tala and they both made their way to the upper deck. Where Dickon was already giving his orders to his Pirate-crew.

A sideways grin from Dickon to Liz, made her smile vaguely. And she could see on the faces of Fortuna, Kate and Rob that there was hope again. Hope they would reach Cuba, find the little wolf and bring him home.