Chapter 5

04th of July, 2 days until the Raid of Dunkirk

With breakfast, the others joined them. Declan, Kate and McTaggart showed up after they bathed and, to everyone's surprise, Rob entered the Inn to join them. Dirty and hungry.

Declan had watched the young lad enter and almost attack the food while he chewed on his eggs.

"How well do you know Dunkirk," he asked Rob, who turned to face Harp.

"Pretty well. Been here for 7 months or so. Why?"

Declan glanced at Fortuna and back to the young man.

"We need water to store on our ship. You will find it and make sure we're well provisioned."

Harp saw Liz grin in the corner of his eyes, but didn't react to it. If Rob was to join them on their trip to Cuba, he might as well help out. Trust didn't came easy for Harp, but if he wanted his son back, he'll have to learn to trust strangers to help him out.

After breakfast, they all went their separate ways. Fortuna went to look at the sail, Kate and McTaggart went to explore Dunkirk and picked up clothes, Rob went to find water and Declan, Liz and Tala went to find cotton sheets.

The couple came back when it was close to dinner time in the Inn after they dropped off the sheets on the ship. They picked up baby clothes on their way and Declan was smiling brightly when Liz put on one of the little dresses they found on the market. Tala looked beautiful in the cream coloured dress and Declan pressed a kiss on both Tala's and Liz's foreheads.

"Let's have dinner and an early night," he murmured, "if Tala keeps us up tonight, we have at least a few hours of solid rest before she gets hungry."

Elizabeth agreed and when they made their way downstairs, the Inn was buzzing with conversations and laughter. They found the others in the corner, already drinking and eating when Harp and Liz joined them.

"I have the water," Rob said and Declan nodded.

"Good boy," he grinned, when Rob offered him a pint.
Liz felt Kate her hand came to rest on her shoulder and looked at the maid with an exhausted smile.

"Do you want me to take Tala tonight? You can get the rest you needed."

Liz firmly shook her head.

"No, if she needs to be fed..."

"Then I will bring her to you," Kate intervened and the blond looked into Harp's direction to find help. "Liz, you need the rest. We'll be on the sea in just a matter of days."

Liz shook her head again, lips pressed firmly together and glanced into Declan's direction who was listening to both women.
"No, I will be fine."

The strong, warm hand of Harp made Liz lock eyes with him.

"Give Tala to Kate. Just for tonight. Kate is right," he said, eyes warm and he saw the doubt crossing in both her eyes as features.

After a few minutes, Liz nodded hesitantly yet her body language said otherwise : she grabbed Tala a bit tighter to hold her closer against her.

"Did we find out why the French were marching towards the harbour last night?"

Everyone looked at Declan with the same expression on their faces. They didn't know anything.

"How long until the sail get fixed?"

Fortuna wiped his hair, his tophat resting on the table before him, and showed them all a half grin.

"Apparently Rob here," he pointed with his thumb towards the young man who sat at the bar with McTaggart, "has some great sewing skills going on. He managed to fix the sail and we'll be putting it up again after dinner."