Chapter 2

03 July 1800 - Dunkirk

It wasn't a surprise to neither Fortuna nor Declan when they left the ship, the Commodore ordered his men to investigate every crook and cranny of the vessel. Fortuna nearly shrugged ; "They won't find anything, my friend, except some empty rum barrels."

Elizabeth lingered a bit behind, which made Declan glance over his shoulder and walk over to her. Her gaze travelled over the Port of Dunkirk and he noticed the sparkle in her eyes.

"So many shipbuilders," she murmured in awe and Declan arched a brow while he looked towards the large, wooden skeletons of soon-to-be ships. It didn't impress him. Ships, the Sea,...Whatever had to do with water and travelling over the ocean, Harp rather stayed in the country he called home : In cold Canada, where the icy winds made the skin on his face raw and hard. There where he was good in his trade and skills.

At Sea, he had to learn to use his combat skills in a new way and he was certain it would be difficult to adjust. He was a creature of habit after all.

"War Vessels," he replied and found Liz' gaze, "Look at the canon holes, the way the ships are build. Fregats, twice the size of ours."

He had heard Fortuna talking about the English navy right before they left English soil. Liz her hand found his cheek while their daughter hung sleepily in the blanket tied around her chest. A smile formed across his lips, temporarily forgotten about everything going on around them.

"How is Tala?"

"She's fine," Liz smiled, the dark circles under her eyes were almost gone entirely, the flush on her cheeks returned and her movements slowly become more fluid again. "Calm and happy, I think," she grinned.

Declan's fingers graced the soft, thin and dark hair of Tala's head before he turned to face Fortuna. Both him and McTaggart waited patiently for the duo while Kate stood a bit further, glancing at the Commodore and his people. The former maid's fingers gently carressed the Commodore's sleeve, which made the man look down at his own hand. Yet, he didn't pull back right away and a firm nod was given towards the blonde.

Kate turned to face the others with a big smile on her face.

"We can stay at the Inn at the center of Dunkirk. The Commodore will make sure there's enough room for all of us," she said with a twinkle in her eyes.

Declan nodded and Elizabeth smirked.

"Used your charm?"

Kate shrugged.

"I can use a real bed to sleep before we travel over the ocean for God knows how long."

Nobody seemed to mind and Declan turned to face Fortuna who pointed over his shoulder.

"Sail," the Captain said and tipped his long hat a bit back. "You two, provisions," he pointed at Harp and Liz.

"Oy, I can do that," McTaggart leaned against one of the walls of a small fisher's house. "Give the couple some sleeping time, aye."

Fortuna turned his head to face McTaggart, his lips in a thin line and Harp shook his head.

"We'll do it," he spoke, his hand came to a rest on Liz her back.

She felt the warmth of his touch through her vest and Declan glanced down at her. Her eyes flickered from him to the ships and back again. The soft, crimson colour on her cheeks that suddenly appeared, made steady beating of his heart increase.

He coughed to clear his throat, "Let's go," he murmured and glanced at Kate and McTaggart. "Clothes, you two are responsible to find some. Let's all meet at the Inn downtown at sundown."