Delicate

"DOES HE THINK I AM THE KIND OF GIRL WHO NEEDS TO BE SAVED?"

Two months ago. 

"No Martha" I groan into the phone, bringing my shoulder closer to my face so the phone won't fall down, "we have gone over this" I struggle with the bags in my arms and trying to open the door to my house. 

"The colour scheme for the wedding is white and purple" I repeat, "so unless you are dying the sunflowers purple, they do not belong at my wedding" I drop the bags on the kitchen counter once I get inside. 

"But sunflowers are youthful and glowing, more eye-catching than roses" she mentions, "okay well when you get married then you can have as many sunflowers as you want" I remark, "you are such a bridezilla" she jokes. 

"I know and I'm sorry" I apologise, "but I plan on this being my only marriage so it needs to be perfect" I explain, "I understand Liv, don't worry about it" she replies, "I will call the florist right now" she adds, "call you again tomorrow" she says before hanging up.

I put my phone back in my pocket and begin to unpack the groceries I brought while putting aside the food that I am planning to cook for Jesse. 

He has been working extra hours trying to get the money for our dream wedding. 

I want to give him a treat tonight. 

Plus, this is a celebration as I just received a letter from my local fire department and they have accepted me as a squad candidate. 

I never really thought that I would be a firefighter, it was not a career path that I had ever envisioned. I had gone to college to study law and had made it as a junior associate in a world-renowned law firm. 

Until the fire. 

One year ago, my parents house went up in flames. 

If it wasn't for the fire fighters, my mother and brother wouldn't have made it out of there alive. 

Unfortunately, they were too late to save my father. 

I decided to train to be a firefighter because I don't want anyone to ever feel the pain I felt and if there is something I can do to help, then I will do whatever I can. 

Leaving those memories behind, I continue to cook Jesse's favourite meal. 

I set the table and get the red wine ready. 

Just as I light the candles, Jesse waltzes in, already untying his tie. 

He pauses when he notices that I decorated our dining room and set the table. 

"What is this all about?" he smiles, giving me a kiss as he takes his jacket and tie off. 

"Do I need to have an occasion to treat my fiance to a meal?" I wrap my arms around his waist, bringing him closer, "guess not" he smirks, leaning down to kiss me again. "I love you" I whisper against his lips, "I love you too" he whispers back, cupping my cheeks, deepening the kiss. 

"We can't do that right now" I pull back, out of breathe, "the food will be cold" I comment but he isn't bothered, "there is only one thing I want to eat right now and it's not on the table" he winks, "oh it isn't?" I challenge, "well not yet" he smirks, wrapping his arms around my thighs to lift me up. 

*The next day*

The sun peaking through the gap in the curtain wakes me up. I shift, trying to reach for Jesse but my hand falls on the empty space beside me.