The Path of Destruction

"I'M BOARDING UP THE WINDOWS, LOCKING UP MY HEART. IT'S LIKE EVERY TIME THE WIND BLOWS, I FEEL IT TEARING US APART"

"Good morning Lieutenant" I catch up with Kelly, "candidate" he greets me as we make our way into the firehouse and towards the locker room.

Recently, there hasn't been the awkwardness between Kelly and I, we both have managed to suppress our emotions and be professional. Of course, there are still remnants of what could have been but I decide to not focus on it.

"So drills today?" I question, "not this shift" he shakes his head, "got to say, your landings have improved massively" he tells me. "Well I would say it was because of your guidance but I'm not a liar" I joke, "you had my hopes up there" he chuckles.

"So you going to hold up well helping Mouch plan his wedding?" Kelly asks, "uhm hang on" I stop him, "what do you mean wedding? Is Mouch getting married?" I question. "You didn't know" he laughs, "he and Trudy are engaged" he informs me.

"And why did no one tell me?" I question, "maybe because they were afraid that you and your gloom would rain on his parade" he teases. "I don't have gloom" I remark, "in fact I might not be the biggest fan of weddings but I am the biggest fan of Mouch and I want him to be happy" I state.

"Doesn't sound like he is your biggest fan since he didn't think of telling you" Kelly jokes, "you're a mean Lieutenant" I nudge him before he goes towards the guys and I go towards the girls side.

"So you and Severide are good now?" Gabby asks, "we are" I nod, "we are really good" I bite back a smile. "Wait? You guys are dating?" she whispers, "no" I shake my head, "but this friend thing is working out so far" I add.

"We haven't had any almost kisses or awkward moments so that's a good sign" I mention, "well I'm glad" Gabby nods.

"Hermann's coming back today right?" I change the topic, "yeah, Cindy wanted him to take a bit more time off but you know Hermann" Gabby replies. "I just hope that everything goes back to normal" I mention, "we all do" she agrees as we finish getting ready and go into the living area.

"So when Hermann arrives" she starts, "we have this plan to pretend we don't care at first and then attack him with love" she informs me, "got it" I nod as she winks and goes over to Matt.

I grab some food before sitting next to Mouch.

"I thought we were friends Mouch" I comment, "what made you think that?" He jokes. "I just heard that congrats are in order for your engagement that I didn't even find out about until now" I comment.

"Trudy and I got engaged, a few weeks ago, when Hermann was still in the hospital" he tells me, "I didn't explicitly tell you because you know" he shrugs, "I didn't want to hurt your feelings" he admits.

"Mouch, just because I had a failed engagement doesn't mean I don't wish you the best" I smile, "congratulations, I wish you guys nothing but happiness" I reach over and hug him, "thanks candidate" he hugs me back.

I then grab my stuff and go sit next to Brett.

"Have you spoken to Chilli?" She asks me, "not since the hospital" I shake my head. "I barely see her on shift now it's as though she is actively avoiding me" I explain, "why is that?" Brett questions, "maybe she regrets showing me her vulnerable side and doesn't want to talk about it" I suggest.

"I am worried about her" Brett states, "especially on the job, she has been so distracted" she tells me.

"I am worried too" I state, "you should have seen the way she broke down" I mention, "but we can't force anything out of her that she doesn't want to say" I point out.