On the Warpath

"YOUR NAME HURTS, I DON'T SAY IT NO MORE. IT'S LIKE THE WORST OF WORDS, YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW"

*6 Weeks Later*

"Jess, Dr Carson has cleared me to start work already, so this is not up for discussion," I state. 

"Well, did you tell him you are a firefighter?" She worriedly questions, "does he know about the physical strain that this will have on your body?" She starts over-thinking.

"Yes and yes" I answer both questions, "and he is confident that I am fully recovered" I try and calm her nerves. 

"But-" she tries. 

"Listen, Jess, I know this whole thing has been exceptionally hard on all of you" I am aware that I was not the only one affected by all this, "but we have to move forward" I demand. "I know you are worried about me and I love you for it but I can't lie around forever" I point out. 

"I know" Jess sighs, "but please promise me you will be safe" she pleads. 

"I promise" We pinky promise. 

"Wait tell me exactly what Dr Carson said!" She asks once again.

"Jess, leave her alone" Ryan comes to my rescue, "she got two doctors approval to get back to work if you know what I mean" he winks. 

"Oh yeah," Jess smirks, "how is Dr Halstead?" She knows the answer already. 

"He has excellent hearing and is upstairs so shut your mouth" I whisper. 

"I mean you have been dating now for six weeks, you guys official or what?" Ryan leans on the kitchen island. 

"We don't know yet" I reply, our conversation interrupted by the doorbell ringing. 

Who can it be so early?

"Mom?" I open the door, "hey sweetheart" she walks in with Henry. 

"What are you doing here so early?" I question, fully aware that Will is still upstairs and is going to come down at any minute.

"I remembered that today was your first day back" she mentions, "and even though I wish you would take an extra week off," she says the same thing as Jess, "I came to offer my support" she quickly adds before I can say anything. 

"She also came to unload me on you" Henry jumps in.

"What is he talking about?" I question, "well since he doesn't start school here for a few more days, I need you to look after him" Mom answers, "while I go down to Ohio for a little bit to sort out the last of our move" she doesn't give me much choice. 

"I am not babysitting!" Jess announces from the kitchen, "and I am-" Ryan pauses to think of an excuse "allergic?" He says, confused himself that he decided to use that excuse. 

"Please sweetheart, I will be back by tomorrow night" Mom ignores the both of them, "okay fine" I reluctantly agree. 

"Yes! I am going to go to a firehouse! I can ride the truck and play with the jaws!" Henry cheers, "you are going to do none of that" Mom and I say at the same time. "You are going to sit, do your schoolwork and make sure to not disturb your sister" Mom instructs. 

"I have not even started school here yet? How do I have school work already?" He sighs. 

"Welcome to the real world kid" Ryan drinks his coffee, "it's tough out here" he states. 

"Because you are behind," Mom tells him.

"And whose fault is that?" Henry looks directly at me, "oh I'm sorry" I roll my eyes, "next time I will try and get shot at a more convenient time" I glare at him. "That would be much appreciated" he replies, not catching on to my sarcasm.