Chapter 5

A/N- Dedicated to mush004

Question of the day: "What's your favorite character from a book or movie?"

Even more important question, do u guys like updates more than 1500 or less than 1500?

I look back to yesterday and realize that it was a disaster as I get ready. I wear my favorite blue and white shift dress with the cute baby pink collar and start applying the last coat of lipstick when the thought occurs to me. What could be so important that Jer had to make me and himself cancel his work to meet? I hope it isn't because of someone in his family and neither his own. I don't want to lose him.

Before I head out, I send Mr. need a friend a text. Even though I changed his name to Will this morning, I still need some time to lose the habit.

Broke up with Kaushik yesterday. U happy?

This guy, whoever he is, is a practical stranger, but I can't help the sense of pride I feel whenever he texts back almost immediately.

You can't believe how happy it makes me.

I have an urge to text something back, but I'm getting late, so I head out towards the café instead.

****

Jer is wearing a fair isle sweater as I enter. I scoot over to sit in the table he has occupied and can't help but notice there's a tightness around his eyes as if he's worried.

"What's wrong?" I ask him the moment I sit down.

He hesitates before answering. "You know that asshole boyfriend you had in high school?"

I give a small laugh at the way he calls Jack asshole. "You think all my boyfriends are assholes. But yeah, I remember him."

"That's cause they all are. Well, he's trying to contact you."

I raise my eyebrow at him. "Okay, so what?"

"He's trying to get you back." He crunches up his nose at that.