11

They continue to date, Jeongyeon taking Nayeon to various food trips, something the brunette had been reluctant to try because she's only ever had non-exotic foods, but soon enjoyed with the company of the younger girl, while the brunette drags her to various viewing spots in the city that she would never have known about otherwise.

They make it official only a couple weeks after they start dating, getting enamored with one another with each laugh that is shared and each kiss that is stolen, each touch that sets a fire through their ribcages and their entire being, and it feels freeing for the both of them that they're letting themselves fall – truly fall in love without reservation - for the first time in a while.

Their personalities mesh quite well; Jeongyeon pulls and Nayeon pushes, and most times they'll meet in the middle. They still argue like cats and dogs but when it all ends with them lying against one another, skin on skin and heart against heart, well, they're more than willing to pick fights every now and then.

Nayeon falls in love with the way Jeongyeon cares for the people around her, almost to a fault. She watches in pure admiration how the girl puts everyone she cares about before anything else, fighting tooth and nail against anyone that may hurt her friends. She's thoughtful without trying and the brunette wonders why she never reveals the side she sees every day to anyone outside of her close circle of friends.

Jeongyeon falls in love with the way Nayeon is so effortlessly sexy and goofy at the same time and loves with her heart on her sleeve, always making sure she knows just how much Nayeon cares about her. She lets Jeongyeon know in the way she takes care of her when the younger girl forgets to take care of herself. She knows by the way the girl holds her at night or the way she eats dinner at her restaurant, only to stay until closing just so she can wait for her.

They spend every chance they have together, sleeping in each other's apartments every night and Jeongyeon visiting Nayeon at the gym while the brunette visits Jeongyeon at the restaurant when they can.

It's not until a few months later that the first sign of trouble dawns upon them.

They're lounging in Jeongyeon's couch, Nayeon sat in between the younger girl's legs while she leans back as the other girl's arms are wrapped around her midsection, their fingers mindlessly playing with each other. They're on the second episode of a Bridezilla marathon when Jeongyeon makes a comment offhandedly that makes them realize something about their relationship.

"See, that's why I'm never getting married."

The older girl hums without really thinking about it at first. It's late and she's sleepy and Jeongyeon's ministrations on her fingers and her breath against the back of her neck are lulling her to sleep. When she gets around to what the girl's words mean, she furrows her eyebrows and stills her hands, turning slightly to face the girl behind her.

"Wait, what?"

"This is one of the many reasons why I think marriage is so overrated. You get lost in all the preparations and people lose sight of the true meaning of being in love."

"You don't think that type of commitment is important though? Not everyone is a bridezilla," Nayeon replies, fully turning in her seat now so she can face the girl properly.

"Not really. I think you can show your commitment without a piece of paper making it 'official.' I can show that I love someone and will commit to them, marriage certificate or not."

A tense, sort of awkward, air settles over them while Jeongyeon's words play in Nayeon's mind. "You don't want to get married?" the brunette whispers, feeling as if the delicate situation calls for it.

"I don't really believe in it, baby," Jeongyeon replies, finally catching on to what the girl might be saying.

"I'm not asking you to marry me right now, but," the brunette replies with a sad chuckle. "I'd always thought I'd get married someday," she looks up to meet Jeongyeon's eyes and they're swimming with insecurities and doubt and slight panic. Nayeon can feel her heart crack with every second of tense silence that passes by.

Jeongyeon brings a hand to her hair and runs her fingers through it nervously as she looks anywhere but the brunette's sad eyes. "I – I'm sorry. I just, I don't really know-"

"It's okay," Nayeon interrupts her gently, moving to stand up from Jeongyeon's hold and the slight distance between them feels massive. Her eyes are downcast and her voice is shaky when she speaks.

Jeongyeon really should've known it was too good to last.

"Nayeonie..." she doesn't know what she was really going to say, but this feels a lot like losing her grip on something she's been holding onto.

"I just need some time, okay?" the brunette gives her a watery smile. "I'll see you later," she hurriedly says as she leans down for a quick, chaste kiss and gathers her stuff. She's out of the apartment before Jeongyeon has the chance to stop her and she doesn't know where this will take them.

They spend the night apart for the first time in months.

PS: Another short with a little bump in the update 🙃