Sneak Peek

JACOB

I kept staring at her sleeping face for hours.

I can’t believe she’s here in my bed, sleeping like a baby.

Finally, after almost 15 years, I have another chance to be with her.

But I didn’t plan this to happen this way.

After her call, I noticed her shoulders started to shake.

I embraced her to comfort her then she begun to cry.

I led her to a couch nearby, took her phone away and put it on the coffee table.

She cried her eyes out. She’s hurting deeply.

All I can do is to gently stroke her hair and pulled her closer to my body.

She’s lost in the midst of despair and then she let her frustrations out after crying for almost an hour.

“Jake, bakit lahat na lang ng lalaking minahal ko, niloko lang ako? Don’t I deserve to be happy?”, she blurted out.

Ouch! Tinamaan yata ako don ah! BULL’S EYE!

This is my chance to redeem myself. Here goes nothing...

“Hindi naman sa ganoon. Maybe you’re only a victim of the situation! In Paulo’s case, Genevieve laid a trap for him, I’m sure of it! I know that she’s capable of doing it. Maybe he really didn’t mean to hurt you! Sa ganda mong yan, hindi ka niya magagawang lokohin!”, I said trying to lighten up her mood.

Teka! Bakit ko ba binibigyang katuwiran ang nangyari sa lalaking yon?

 Maybe I just don’t want her to hurt any further!

“Really?”, she said then looked at me straight in the eyes.

“Really!”, I said in my most sincere voice.

“Eh, bakit ikaw? Nagawa mo akong lokohin?”, then hurt registered in her eyes.

“Raqz, I didn’t mean to hurt you! It’s not like what you think! You just didn’t give me a chance to explain.”, I said, pleading for her to listen.

“Jake, it’s almost 15 years too late for any explanation, don’t you think?”, she said between her sobs with tiredness in her voice.

Then she just embraced me and rested her head on my chest. Just like the old times.

“Jakey, thanks for giving me Jazz and Jaqz! Kahit nasaktan mo ko, I still want to thank you!”, she said in an exhausted voice.

“What did you say?”, I said with confusion enveloping me.

Jazz and Jaqz? Who are they? Why is she thanking me for them?

She cried some more until her sobs stopped.

“Babe, I want to explain! Please hear me out!”

I didn’t hear any response from her.

She cried herself to sleep.