Chapter 4 - The Ugly Truth

RAQUEL

My heart is really pounding fast against my chest. He still has that effect on me. I know I am flustered and beet-red all over just because of that illicit thought.

Why did I do that? Of all times, why now?

I saw Paulo’s smile and forced myself to calm down.

He already ordered our lunch with two goblets of red wine.

When I finally reached him, I gave my best effort to smile back at him and kissed him on the cheeks as I join him on the couch.

“Hi honey! Welcome home! I missed you!”

“Miss? With that kind of kiss? I don’t think so. Let me show you how you miss someone in a kiss.”

He pulled me closer to his body and kissed me fully on the lips. He gently sucked my lips and coerced me to open my mouth. But I pushed him gently away from me.

“What’s with that kiss? People might see us.”

I looked around to see if someone might see us. To my surprise, Jacob is looking in our direction, and based on his reaction, he doesn’t seem to like what happened.

Ano bang pakialam niya noh? Mind your own business!

Then I turned my attention to Paulo.

“Let them talk hon! So what? If they want something to talk about, why not let them know how I love you from the bottom of my heart?”, he said that and acted that he’ll kiss me some more.

“‘Just stop it, okay?”, and I pushed him away from me to keep a little distance between us.

I took my wineglass and sip a little from it.

“Okay, okay, you win, as always.”, he paused for a while and stared at me intently.

“How are you feeling babe? Are you okay?”

“I’m feeling fine, why?”, I asked him quizzically.

He put the back of his hand to my neck and the other to his own.

“You don’t have a fever but you look troubled and flustered. Maybe it’s from our kiss. I didn’t know that I have that kind of effect on you darling! ”, then he laughed a bit.

Ang malditong ito! Pagtawanan pa ba ako?

“You are one naughty girl, honey! Just wait after office hours, I’m all yours. We’ll make love to your heart’s content.”, he chuckled.