What the Heart Wants

It was the week leading up to Spring Interhigh, and everyone on the team was excited. That's what Resu assumed, at least. She was...avoiding them after her conversation with Oikawa. She needed a chance to think things over, by herself.

Her excuse was that Saito-san needed her after school all week and the coming weekend. During school hours, Resu took great measures to hide from her friends. She ate her lunch in the bathroom and took different routes to her classes.

Was she being over-dramatic? Perhaps. But she couldn't avoid them forever. Well, she was planning to, until that Thursday afternoon.

Resu slipped on her sneakers and placed her school shoes in her locker before closing up. To her surprise, Asahi stood next to her locker, a worried expression on his face. She jumped and took a few paces back, placing a hand over her heart.

"Asahi! You... You scared me," Resu said with a nervous grin. She was looking everywhere but him. "Did you need something?"

"We're all worried about you, Resu," Asahi admitted. "Nishinoya and Tanaka said they haven't seen you all week, and you haven't been eating lunch with them. Is something wrong?"

Resu rocked back and forth on her heels, feeling scrutinized under his stare.

"Wrong? No, no, I've just been busy. Extra work and all. You know how it goes." She shifted the strap of her backpack on her shoulder. "If that's all, I gotta go. Saito-san's waiting for me. Bye!"

"Resu -"

She was already gone, leaving a cloud of dust in her wake. Asahi frowned, unconvinced. Something was definitely up with Resu and it bothered him that she felt she needed to keep it to herself. They were friends, after all. She didn't need to shoulder her burdens alone anymore.

Resu was Resu though, and he knew just how stubborn she was. He just hoped it wasn't anything bad.

-----

Snip. Snip. Snip.

"Resu-kun."

Snip. Snip.

"Resu?"

Snip snip snip snip snip -

"Resu!"

She snapped back into reality. Resu looked down at the bouquet in her hands, now ruined due to her lack of awareness. She sighed, and Saito-san took it from her gently.

"You know, Resu, I was pleased you came back to work. I could always use the extra help," she said with a kind smile. "Something's bothering you though, I can tell. Why don't I make some tea and we can talk about it?"

Resu was reluctant, agreeing only because she was hungry. She sat down in a wicker chair, her leg bouncing nervously as Saito-san placed a tray of cookies on the table between them. She gripped her teacup (which only held milk) and stared down into it.

"...The other day I bought a bracelet set. I want to give it to someone, but I don't want to send the wrong message. I don't even know what message I want to send."

"Is this person a friend?"

Resu nodded, and Saito-san shook her head.

"Resu, friends give each other gifts all the time. It's no big deal! Do you want to give the gift as a friend, or as something more?"

The second-year scratched at the bridge of her nose. She took a bite of a cookie and talked through her chews.

"I dunno. The more I think about it, the more I'd prefer to remain friends. I don't want to ruin any relationship I've managed to make."