Intuition

Days passed by at a relatively normal pace with the upcoming interhigh hanging over the boys' heads. Resu yawned widely and stretched. Another practice was over and she wanted to get home as soon as possible. She felt exhausted for some reason and she wiped at her eyes as she helped put the nets away.

Resu noticed some of the team huddled on the floor, a magazine in between them. Thinking it was some kind of girly pin-up thing, she walked over to sneer at them, only to find they were only looking at a volleyball article. Her bottom eyelid twitched. She supposed that wasn't that surprising, now that she thought about it.

"What's so interesting?" The second year asked, skimming the article as it was handed to her reluctantly. It was about Ushiwaka, the ace from Shiratorizawa. Her nose crinkled slightly. He almost seemed too perfect, from the way the article described him.

"He definitely looks like an ace though," Daichi commented, pointedly looking in Asahi's direction as he said this. Naturally, the ace became dejected, but Nishinoya and Resu patted his shoulders in an effort to comfort him.

"Shiratorizawa isn't the only formidable opponent," Ukai spoke up, joining the group. "There's also Wakutani Minami..."

Resu zoned out momentarily, volleyball logic lost on her.

"...Date Kogyo..."

At the mention of that school, Asahi stiffened noticeably next to her. She raised an eyebrow before hearing that Karasuno had lost to them last March. It dawned on Resu that that was the match Asahi had been blocked nearly every time, which had caused him to take a break from volleyball in the first place.

"...There's also Aoba Johsai, which has Oikawa Tooru."

It was Resu's turn to freeze up. Although it was not known to the boys, she had went to the school for her first year. You could say she knew Oikawa...pretty well, although she wasn't proud of that fact. A deep frown settled on her face. There was a high chance she would run into him at the interhigh, which was not something she was looking forward to.

Minutes later, Takeda-sensei burst through the doors, the match-ups for the prelims in his hand. They were first up against a school called Tokonami and both Dateko and Aoba Johsai were other seeds in their block. It was highly possible that if they won their matches they would end up facing the two schools that were proved to be some of the most powerful in the country.

Resu's eyes narrowed. While it was true that Karasuno had come a long way, how far had they actually improved in comparison to other schools? They'd only had, what...two practice matches? Was that enough?

That question hung in the back of her mind as she made her way home.

-----

The next day, Resu and Nishinoya were on their way to Asahi's classroom to walk with him to the gym. The taller girl slowed her pace slightly and turned to Nishinoya, an eyebrow raised slightly in concern.

"D'you think Asahi will be alright? I mean..." She gestured in no particular motion, at a loss for words, but Nishinoya understood what she was referring to.

"He better," the second year replied, almost bitterly. "Otherwise I'll knock some sense into him!"

Resu chuckled dryly as he barked at Asahi, who seemed to be brooding over the match-ups. His classmates regarded the two oddly, whispering as the gentle third year joined them out in the hall. As they began walking, they were silent. None of them wanted to address the issue directly, but somehow...

"I'm not going to run away, if that's what you're thinking," Asahi spoke up, to their surprise. Resu glanced sideways at him as he continued. "I know everyone's behind me."