epilogue

"Thank you, come again!"

Resu let out a sigh as her customer left, arms full of bouquets. The place had become busy in the past few years, and it was becoming a bit hard to run the flower shop all by herself. Perhaps she should look into hiring someone.

With a shrug, she continued the arrangement she had been working on. It was for an upcoming wedding and Resu had promised that it would be perfect for the couple. She took a step back and eyed the flowers. It was close, but something still looked a bit off to her.

She removed a bit of the extra foliage and substituted it with more roses. Resu looked it over once more and nodded in satisfaction. She gently moved the piece to the refrigerator and glanced at her phone.

A picture of her and Asahi lit up the screen, making her smile. Resu then saw the time and gasped.

"Shit!"

She was running late! Hastily, she grabbed her coat and bag, shoving her phone into it.

"I'll be back later, Saito-san!" Resu called out.

The candles around Saito-san's shrine flickered as the door slammed behind her. She quickly locked it and flipped the sign to 'closed'. Taking off at a sprint, Resu desperately hoped she would make the train in time.

Her boots pounded across the pavement, sending up leaves in her wake. The crisp fall air filled her lungs as the station came into view. A few stragglers boarded the train as the station master yelled out the last call for passengers. With a grunt, Resu leapt forward at the last second, just managing to make it into the train before the doors closed. A few people clapped at her athleticism as she sat down, now embarrassed.

The train started to move so she pulled out her phone and sent a short text.

omw sorry!!! (ᗒᗣᗕ)՞

Resu looked out the window while waiting for a reply. The scenery was beautiful this time of year, the trees full of vibrantly colored leaves. It all melted into a blur as they passed by, making her a bit dizzy.

Worriedly, Resu checked her phone again. No messages. She frowned.

The train eventually came to a stop and she nearly bowled over the other passengers on her way out. Resu ran up the stairs of the station and, to her relief, saw a familiar face waiting for her.

"Asahi!"

Her boyfriend smiled at her affectionately, taking in her appearance as she approached. Her hair was shorter now, tied in a loose braid that rested on her shoulder. It was pulled out of her face and her blind eye was covered by an eyepatch. Resu wore a black turtleneck with a pair of high-waisted slacks and knee-high boots, her coat carried in her arms.

"Sorry I'm late! I lost track of time," she admitted, giving him a chaste kiss on the cheek.

Asahi chuckled at her, linking their hands together.

"No worries. Shall we go?"

He led her outside and they walked a bit until they reached their destination - the Sendai city gymnasium. Daichi and Sugawara soon came into view, the latter waving excitedly.

"Took you long enough," Daichi scoffed playfully, punching Asahi in the arm.

"Clearly you didn't read my text," Resu added with a roll of her eyes.

The four of them hugged and exchanged pleasantries before making their way into the gym.

"Tanaka and Shimizu should be here soon, yeah?" Asahi asked, glancing around for the other couple.

"Yep! I still can't believe they're married. It's crazy!" Sugawara replied with a laugh.

"Haha, yeah, totally crazy," Resu muttered under her breath, definitely not thinking about the ring that had been carefully hidden in her sock drawer for months.

They all took their seats and talked amongst themselves until the rest of their friends showed up. Soon after, the announcer's voice rang out through the court, signaling the start of the match. Resu watched and cheered as her former kouhai took center stage.

"Let the game begin!"