The End Of Everything

The constant buzzing of the fluorescent lights in the hospital did little to calm Asahi. He, along with Nishinoya and Tanaka, anxiously awaited any news about Resu's condition. Her siblings had shown up shortly after they had brought her into the emergency room. They were currently talking to the doctor outside the room in hushed tones.

Asahi glanced at the clock. He wasn't sure how long they had been there, but he knew it had been at least a few hours. The sky outside had grown dark quickly, a sure sign that winter was soon on the way.

Several questions buzzed through his mind. Was Resu okay? What had happened?

Why was there so much blood?

He found himself trembling. Nishinoya put a reassuring hand on his shoulder. After what had seemed like forever, Resu's siblings finally approached them. Hitomi had make-up smeared down her cheeks from crying, and Kouta looked like he hadn't slept in weeks. Asahi feared the worst.

"Resu's going to be okay," Kouta announced, his voice hoarse and unsteady. "The doctor said she was very lucky; the men that attacked her missed any vital organs."

The trio heaved big sighs of relief. Hitomi and Kouta glanced at each other then suddenly dropped to the floor on their knees, their heads bowed low. The boys looked upon them in confusion.

"We want to thank you for looking out for Resu!" Kouta nearly yelled, alerting the other people in the waiting room. "Without you, she could've..."

Hitomi started crying again.

"P-please, get up," Asahi stammered, shocked at their display of gratitude. "We're all just glad that she's okay..."

The two of them rose, leaning on each other for support.

"We've m-made a lot of mistakes over t-the years," Hitomi managed to say. "We're s-so sorry about w-what happened before."

Asahi remembered it like it was yesterday. Resu was gone, and he suddenly felt so empty. Then, she returned, and his world became bright again.

"Why do you always move anyways?" Nishinoya asked rather bluntly. "Isn't it easier for you all to stay in one place?"

Kouta sighed as he attempted to calm his sister.

"Our mother passed away when we were very young. Our father had killed her, and attacked all of us."

This news stunned them into silence. Resu had never said a word about her parents, other than never wanting to speak about them. He remembered that Nekoma's captain had said something about them living abroad... Asahi realized that must have been a lie.

"We had to move all the time because I always took the best job offer I could get," Kouta continued. "I never thought that it affected Resu. She never said anything about it. But when we moved away from here... I had never seen her so upset before."

"We were scared," Hitomi explained after taking a few deep breaths. "We always thought we were doing what was best for her because we never actually bothered to ask her what she wanted." She gave them a weak smile. "You all did so much for her. She talks about you guys all the time, especially you, Asahi."

He blushed, and Tanaka elbowed him in the side playfully.

"Resu has never really had any long-term friends. All we ask is that you continue being there for her." Her brother requested with another bow.

"Of course! There's no way we'd stop being her friend, especially right now." Nishinoya assured them.

They were both extremely grateful.