The Meeting With Draco Malfoy

For the winter holidays, I had chosen to stay behind at Hogwarts. My father had begged for me to come home, but he has plenty of work to keep him busy, and I have something holding me back here. 

 That something is a person, actually- Draco Malfoy. I had fallen for him, in a way. Though it never really happened. It's a nice thought, that's all. 

 "You were messing with history!" Amy had yelled at me once at a time of frustration for both of us. I had been asking too many questions, and she snapped. All the questions led down to the big one. Why do I have to relive that again? 

 "What if I don't want to?" I had replied. Her hair had turned a shade of red that was rather frightening at first, but it calmed down and went white. 

 "I was afraid you'd say that. Just- just try and change him. Alright?" And that was the last I had heard of Amy. 

 Now it's just me on this impossible mission that seems to prevent itself from being accomplished. Of course, I wasn't going to let it remain unaccomplished. So that's how this all ties in together with me staying behind during the winter holidays. 

 But first, I had to make sure that Draco was to stay behind too. So I had followed Neville to wish him goodbye. And here I am, standing outside in the cold snow, making sure a person I barely knew anymore wasn't leaving. 

 "Goodbye Neville!" I say with a smile. He awkwardly waves back and starts walking away. 

 My eyes search the crowd for Draco. Once or twice I'd see a person with light hair, only to have them turn around to reveal that they were not him. It was good that the people leaving weren't Draco, but a part of me wanted him to go so that my mind could be free from him. 

 At dinner that night, Draco was there. He was sitting by himself. From the Ravenclaw table I nervously played with my food. I know I have to talk to him. I know. 

 He stands up to leave, and I wait a few seconds before I get up, too.

 "Draco!" I finally manage to say. Well, it was more of a shout. 

 He turns around slowly and his cold eyes meet mine. But they soften a bit. 

 "Luna." He replies. And then I realize the big thing. That one thing that was going to hold me back, no matter how important the situation may be. And hopefully, I'm making the right choice when I say, 

 "Don't." 

 Draco looks at me in a confused way. He shakes his head as if remembering a memory and smiles as he does.

 "Luna, I'm sorry about what my father did." He says, "And I was wondering if we can go back to the way we were?" Again, his expression changes. It looks like he's begging. That look pains me so, so much. 

 I nod. 

  He comes closer and hugs me tightly and it makes me nearly forget about everything else. The smell of him brings back good memories, even if they weren't real. I thought of Channel and Joey and the river and all the small things that had made me feel alive.  

 I thought about the first time Draco had kissed me. It had been the teenagers inside of us bursting out, even if they had been well hidden.

 I thought about how we had runaway with no thought about it and how it had been the craziest thing I've ever done. Yet I could do that again with no thought. 

 And I thought how maybe just this once things could end up right and feel right, even if they wouldn't be right for me.

 ----

  Note: Not my best. Not my worst. Hopefully I'll be able to upload soon : )