All Work And No Play

A/N: Hi everyone! Thanks for choosing to read my fic. I would like to warn you now that this first chapter may be a little slow to get into, but it's purely to introduce the main character. This story has a lot of dance terms and lingo, however you do not need to know what any of it is to know what the story is about :) I really hope you enjoy this fic and hope that it does as well as my other stories that I have written. I'm going to be publishing the first two chapters over the next cpuple of days but from then on, I will be updating this once a week so that Idon't have to worry about any chapters being bad because I've rushed them :) If you haven't read my other fics, then give those a read too (if you want to of course). Thankyou so much for your support and dont forget to vote and leave a comment!! Ta M'lovelies!! xxx

P.S The photo is of Clare Thomas, who I have cast as Emma :)

"5,6,7,8 and 1 hold 2, leap 3 spring 4, and step step lunge arabesque and hold, run run leap and a-ti-tude. Sarah, stretch your toes, Amber, what did I tell you about musicality? Come on girls! More effort please. Spring point, spring point and pas de chat, extend your legs and get off the floor! Alright stop! Take a break" Miss Turner pressed pause on the CD player and the class fell to the floor exhausted. She'd been working us hard for the last few weeks in preparation for our exams but I knew it would all be worth it in the end. I for one intended to pass my big exam, just so I could begin teaching.

"Miss Turner? Could I speak to you for a moment please?" I called from across the studio. Her head flicked up from her notes and changed from and frustrated face to a warm smile.

"Of course Emma, what's the matter my dear?" Her tone softened at the sound of my voice and she made her way over to where I was standing.

"I was just wondering about after the exams.. maybe... If I passed you could allow me to teach some of your lessons? I would just like to get some experience really." I asked quietly, worried about what she might say or how she may respond.

"Well actually I was going to talk to you about that after class, but seeing as you've mentioned it now, I'd like to let you know that I've already considered this option and would like you to take the opportunity." She smiled and pushed her hair back into place. "You're my top student Emma. Why would I want to waste such talent?" She squeezed my arm as I nodded my head excitedly.

"Oh my gosh! Thank you! Thank you so much!" I squealed and put on my next set of shoes. Tap, now that was something I could really let myself go with. The rhythm, the beats and the freedom of improvisation.

------------

5 O'clock came around pretty quickly. I packed up my kit and headed straight home. When I let myself into my tiny little flat, I threw my bags onto the sofa and headed straight for the bathroom, what I needed was a bath. After I'd made sure there was a significant amount of bubbles I dipped my toes into the water to test the temperature, before fully submerging myself into the tub. Peace at last.

------------

I was woken up the next morning by the sound of my alarm clock screeching in my ear. I slammed my palm onto the top, stopping the annoying sound before unsuccessfully rolling out of bed and crashing onto the floor. Granted it woke me up, but that meant I was then in a very aggravated mood. However I had to put on a brave face and get ready otherwise I would have been late for dance class. The one thing in the world I loved most.

After I'd drank my coffee and eaten my breakfast, my phone vibrated, grabbing my attention. I unlocked it and scrolled down to my inbox opening the message.

- Em!  You know what day it is right?! It's Tuesday! And you know what Tuesday is?! Free drink night at Monty's! Oli has said he'll look after Jake and Harry tonight so I'm going. Please say you'll come?

Jess xoxo

I laughed at my best friend trying to get me to spend the night out with her like we used to. I first met Jess when I was eighteen. She and I worked together at a sandwich bar on an industrial estate. It was both of our first jobs and we automatically clicked when we met, ending up spending our nights together clubbing and watching Mean Girls over and over again. Now we are both thirty and don't get to see each other as often. I decided to quit and focus completely on my dancing, while she moved to greener pastures and got a fancy job in a marketing position, in which she met her husband Oli. Now they have two wonderful little boys and own their own marketing business, while I am still trying to get my dance career going. I sighed and hastily typed my response.

- You know I'd love to Jess but my big exam is coming up so I'm staying at the studio late tonight. I'll come with you another Tuesday after the exam. Sorry

Em xoxo

It didn't take long after I'd sent it before she replied.

- Boo, you whore ;) Seriously though Em you need to take a break. It's all work and no play with you anymore. You're going to end up collapsing soon... plus everyone needs to getdrunk once in a while!

Jess xoxo

With a sigh I locked my phone and washed up my breakfast things. She was right, I was focusing too much on my dance at the moment, but when you want something so much, you work for it. And if that means that I lose a couple of nights out. So be it.

Once I'd finished packing away my things I grabbed my dance bag and left the flat. Prepping myself for the long day ahead. Roll on 5 o'clock!